My thoughts on SPAM, AOL and staying in the white.

antic

Perch
This started as a reply to a question, but grew until I thought it would be better as a thread for general info & tips.

Spam is basically sending something that wasn't specifically requested. It's like the definition of "weed" - any plant which doesn't belong there. These days it's very much the perception of the user that defines spam - didn't want that email? It's spam!

Especially when one click of an AOL user's "Report SPAM" button causes other servers to be notified that YOU are a sender of unwanted email. Too many of those and your hosting provider will give you a serious warning. These days it pays to be careful.

AOL_report_spam.gif

Report Spam and Delete are uncomfortably close together in AOL 9.
(The cynic in me thinks this is a marketing decision.. a system that "works too well" is not as bad as one that isn't used at all. AOL wanted to make a mark, and people are lazy - Report is on the LEFT of Delete and often gets clicked in haste by accident.)

It's a fine line when, say, a newsletter is sent out as part of registering on a web site. The user registered to see information on the site, but doesn't want the accompanying newsletter. Instead of unsubscribing, a couple of lazy AOL users click "This is SPAM" (it's way too easy for them to do that) and suddenly you're being warned. This is an AOL issue that annoys lots of legitimate senders too. See AOL Delivery Tips.

That's why double-opt-in (or "confirmed opt in") is the preferred newsletter signup methodology - it's like saying, "are you REALLY SURE you want this newsletter?" It has other serious advantages for you too - it stops you getting false signups from bots, and stops vindictive use of other people's email addresses without their permission (sometimes used as a way to get a site blacklisted).

General guidelines are you need to provide clear indication of what a person's email address will/won't be used for, and in each mailout you include a link or instructions on how to unsubscribe from that mailing list. Double-opt-in is practically essential as a sign-up method. See this interesting article on AOL, double opt-in, spam and sales.

Furthermore, the signup confirmation email (IMO) should cover the following:
  1. Branding - if your email looks a bit like the web site the person just visited, less chance of them ignoring/spametizing it.
  2. Briefly and clearly explain what the email is for, and that it's in response to the person's signup. Include a line like "Please do not mark this email as spam, as it may prevent others from receiving this newsletter." - which for AOL is true.
  3. Provide a quick and easy confirmation link - one that isn't too long and won't line-wrap, as that can break the link in some email programs.
  4. Apologise if their email was entered in by mistake and make it clear their details will be *removed automatically* after a couple of days if they do not click the above confirmation link. Make sure that is the case.
  5. Link to a good anti-spam information site.
As in the above article, a percentage of AOLers will click "Report Spam" on the actual confirmation emails! Might be unavoidable, might be an accident, but I think a lot of it is because of badly/simplistically worded emails that don't make it instantly clear who they are from, what it's for and that it mustn't be marked as spam. A bit of education doesn't hurt.

Bottom line, you need to see it from the recipients' point of view. If they just registered on your fabbo cooking site to get onto the recipe forums, then unexpectedly receive a newsletter-style email unrelated to the forums (ie. "unsolicited" - a good word to keep in mind) then they could feel justified thinking, ugh, spam. Click. They're not interested in scrolling down to read how to unsubscribe (the old opt-out method), they want to get rid of spam. Right or wrong, AOL's approach encourages that response in people. Avoiding it should be priority #1 in mailing list design.

IMO, you can do the following to help avoid ticking off trigger-happy spam reporters:
  1. Only send emails that were specifically requested, or related to a specific action (eg. forum registration should only result in forum-related emails)
  2. Brand all your emails the same way (a simple header or use of font/colour is enough, as long as its consistent) - or, for plain-text emails, your site name should always be prominent.
  3. Always use double ("confirmed") opt-in.
  4. If someone just subscribed to a newsletter, send the first one immediately (after they have confirmed of course) so they remember what it looks like for future. Avoid a long delay, or they may well forget they asked for it.
  5. If appropriate, suggest that the From address is placed in the person's address-book to avoid it being marked as spam.
  6. If you have to send an "hello" email after a person registers on your site:
    • Keep it short, friendly and include assurances about privacy and protection from spam.
    • Send it immediately - memories are short.
    • Avoid trying to sell/promote anything first time around.
    • If you have lots to say, eg. a tour of site features, provide a link to a page on the subject, don't create a long email.
Of course, all the above is dependent on what kind of service you're providing. If your site is flashy, sells iPods and solar-powered massage socks, your emails will need "bang for buck" content to retain that short attention span. If your site provides updates on tube-worm research, stay on topic. As with all site design, it's relative to the audience.

Just keep in mind AOL has a threshold percentage of spam reports from a sender before they take action. A "keep it real" approach to lists and newsletters will help you avoid getting into the bad books.

Any further tips, please reply away...

This design by AOL also causes havoc for anyone using mail forwarding from a domain to their aol.com address, anything that really IS spam, they hit the "Report spam" button on, and it reports us because we are the first of the new headers on the mail, eventhough we did not originate the spam. This is something every host deals with, and I know some resellers have gotten notices about masses of this type of "spam" being reported, most of the time they just change to a mailbox and check it using a mail client instead of forwarding.

That's interesting, hadn't thought of that. I'd really like to see providers and site designers start refusing to accept AOL addresses until they clean their act up.

The problem I think is not the system itself, so much as it's far too easy to make a report. AOL should make reporting a conscious, considered action, explaining that reporting a legitimate sender, just because you can't be bothered unsubscribing from a mailing list, has consequences for them and fellow recipients.

Right now AOL is simply being irresponsible in the online community. Of course they've made a nice market for themselves, charging companies to stay on their whitelists.

I'm no lawyer..I just play one on TV! :D

I think AOL is leaving themselves open for some type of legal action. The fact that legitimate emails are being lost by them..as well as having legitimate businesses/servers blacklisted due to their customers sounds like a recipe to be sued for.

Their customer base is already down many millions from it's highest point..they really need to stop acting like "King of the Mountain"

One of my clients hit the "spam" button all the time..they are no longer allowed to have any mail forwarded and must get it off the mail server. I am also not giving any new customers the choice of mail forwarding (AOL or not) It is just too much of a problem.

They're not interested in scrolling down to read how to unsubscribe (the old opt-out method), they want to get rid of spam.

Many anti-spam sources tell you to never click on the unsubscribe links in spam messages. Users are told that informs the spammers that yours is a legitimate email address and that you'll receive even more spam as a result.

I'll admit, I've passed on that message. But, I never tell anyone to report spam. I just tell people delete the junk or add the offending address to their blacklists.

I'm sure there are some who have gotten this message and do just whack the old "This is Spam" button because of it.

Tim

Back