MySQL on Microsoft?

brawney

Perch
If I wanted to access MySQL via a Microsoft ASP or ASP.NET app, what are my options here on JodoHost? ODBC or OLEDB?

Yash said:

Thanks. I'll use that for ASP and for ASP.NET I plan to use an open source OLEDB driver that is available at http://sourceforge.net/projects/mysqlnet.

Yash, I've created a small fucntion in ASP and in ASP.NET that will do banner ad rotation. Its working with an Access database right now. I want it to be as optimized as possible, because although it is only a tiny bit of data it will be hit every time a page is loaded and for almost every page on my site.

The database holds a few strings which are loaded and then a counter column is updated. I'll have a few dozen of these records in the database.

Is it worth my effort to add code to support this in MySQL? I have to wonder if using MySQL via an ODBC connection from ASP is going to be any better than using Access via OLEDB. The ODBC adds another layer to the connection. Any thoughts on this?

I'm really not the right person to ask. Know very little of ASP and Cold Fusion. Maybe some of the more experienced coders here can answer this.

brawney said:
Thanks. I'll use that for ASP and for ASP.NET I plan to use an open source OLEDB driver that is available at http://sourceforge.net/projects/mysqlnet.

Yash, I've created a small fucntion in ASP and in ASP.NET that will do banner ad rotation. Its working with an Access database right now. I want it to be as optimized as possible, because although it is only a tiny bit of data it will be hit every time a page is loaded and for almost every page on my site.

The database holds a few strings which are loaded and then a counter column is updated. I'll have a few dozen of these records in the database.

Is it worth my effort to add code to support this in MySQL? I have to wonder if using MySQL via an ODBC connection from ASP is going to be any better than using Access via OLEDB. The ODBC adds another layer to the connection. Any thoughts on this?

It's not the amount of data but rather the speed and ease of use that you need to be worried about. Using MS Access for a datasource gets tricky if files get too big or you start generating a lot of traffic. I would most definitely suggest moving to something more managable (RDBMS such as MySQL or MSSQL) if you're going to push that out into the public.

Thanks to all for this beneficial information.I search very much about sql database that which is useful to me.

Thanks once again,

mark.

Back