New SQL2000 Accounts

Tanmaya said:
Sorry it is not possible anymore.
However your client should certainly try SQL2005 as it is mostly backward compatible.

Can Users connect to SQL2005 through SQL Enterprise Manager?

Stephen,

I've read through the post where you say it isn't a "problem" that we can't see user DB's within Enterprise Manager (or SQL Mgt Studio), but I disagree. There is some functionality that drastically helps my development proficiency that is only found when I can actually click on things (tables, proc's, etc) within the UI. Sure, I could do all of those things through scripting, but I don't have the time nor desire to devote that much effort to learning otherwise useless (to me) SQL commands.

Is there any way we could make user DB's viewable by default? That way when a user logs in through Ent Mgr (or Mgt Studio) they will see their DB (along with the others obviously).

thanks,
.brit

I have downloaded and ran the EMS tool, but still feel that Mgt Studio is the better of the two. Plus, it's the industry standard for M$ SQL access.

.brit

That is all that can be used without our assistance, which is what you asked for, :)

(Actually it is not all, Aqua Data Studio also will work)

Hsphere has no move tool so really the only way to do it is to make a new account and create mssql db's in it, we can restore from a mssql 2000 bak file with a little work, the web based tool that is beta will only restore sql 2000 to sql 2000 DBs and 2005 to 2005 not convert them. Unless you are just really needing some SQL 2005 feature there is not much need to jump for it just because it is "newer" thy still do the same basic things, and unlike MySQL4 to 5, there is not a massively new feature like transactions, they have been in MSSQL for a long time :)

Back