No log in prompt with IIS 6.0 and Integrated windows authentication

P

perico

Hello.

I am trying to protect a folder in my web server using IIS authentication and NTFS privileges.
With explorer I have selected the folder, menu Properties, Security tab and then I have eliminated the group "users" and added a local user "webadm". He will be the allowed one.
With IIS manager I have selected the folder, menu Properties, Directory security tab. If the authentication method selected is Basic a window is opened in the browser so I can log in but if I select Integrated windows authentication no window asks me for user-password and the browser only gets a 401.2 (no log on) message.
Why no log in window turns up with this second method?

This happens me with IIS 6.0 and W2003 but I haven't any problem in the test environment: IIS 5.0 and W2000.

Thanks.

You didn't describe how you tested (which is usually a good idea), but, if your client is using the Microsoft Internet Explorer web browser, you may want to check some of your client IE settings, such as:

Internet Options/Advanced/Enable Integrated Windows Authentication

Also, you may need to adjust your client to allow TLS 1.0, as this is often a stumbling block.

Furthermore, in IE, automatic integrated windows logon is by default controlled by security zones.

Here is another note I have seen, which could possibly be relevant:

Integrated Windows authentication is disabled by default if you install Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 1 (SP1) as part of a slipstream installation of a Windows Server 2003 operating system. If you install Windows Server 2003 SP1 by itself, as an upgrade to a Windows Server 2003 operating system, the setting for Integrated Windows authentication is unchanged from its Windows Server 2003 setting. Integrated Windows authentication is enabled by default for Windows Server 2003 operating systems.

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/pr...iis/523ae943-5e6a-4200-9103-9808baa00157.mspx

Finally, there are gotchas specific to kerberos (q.v. google), as opposed to NTLM.

Back