non www. redirect to www.domain.com

xscott

Perch
Is there a way to redirect in the CP to 301 redirect to the www version of the domain?

Main issue is Search Engines see the domain with the www and without the www as seperate pages. If outside links point to either version this creates duplicate content in Search Engines.

quick answer of the top of my head would be to make all the links like
"http://site.com/page.htm"

other way would be to remove the www. alias in "DNS Settings" and create a subdomain called "www" then you could add a redirect

Scotty_32 said:
quick answer of the top of my head would be to make all the links like
"http://site.com/page.htm"

other way would be to remove the www. alias in "DNS Settings" and create a subdomain called "www" then you could add a redirect

Is the www vs no www an issue in regards to SEO? I am new to SEO and just didn't realize that it may be a concern.

Thanks

scotty, you dont need ot create a subdomain to do what you say

just delete the dns record for www.domain.com

as there is a wild card (*.yourdomain.com) that will redirect you to the main website as you are wanting.. so anything.yourdomain goes to yourdomain.com

Emagine said:
scotty, you dont need ot create a subdomain to do what you say

just delete the dns record for www.domain.com

as there is a wild card (*.yourdomain.com) that will redirect you to the main website as you are wanting.. so anything.yourdomain goes to yourdomain.com

I want it to go to www.mydomain.com. For CF sites I can do it in the code and on unix/linux/apache site I can do it in .htaccess, but was hoping for a better solution on a windows server in the CP for static sites.

Is the www vs no www an issue in regards to SEO? I am new to SEO and just didn't realize that it may be a concern.

Yes, in a way that SE may question the validity of pages if they have exact duplicates of them and if a site links to you without the www your www.domain version does not get the real beneifit of the link. With a 301(permanent redirect) passes the value of links to the desired site.

xscott said:
I want it to go to www.mydomain.com. For CF sites I can do it in the code and on unix/linux/apache site I can do it in .htaccess, but was hoping for a better solution on a windows server in the CP for static sites.

Yes, in a way that SE may question the validity of pages if they have exact duplicates of them and if a site links to you without the www your www.domain version does not get the real beneifit of the link. With a 301(permanent redirect) passes the value of links to the desired site.

So what is the recommendation about www vs not. I know most sites will take you to the correctly place regardless of whether you use www or not. You do want both www and nonwww to work right?

So what is the recommendation about www vs not. I know most sites will take you to the correctly place regardless of whether you use www or not. You do want both www and nonwww to work right?

From my experinece most sites will let you browse www.domain.com or domain.com treating it as the same site. But search engines see sub.domain.com and www.domain.com as "a seperate site" from domain.com. If someone types in domain.com in the browser you do not want it to fail, but to "Redirect" the browser to open www.domain.com. THere are 301(permanent) and 302(temporary) redirects, Search Engines suggest to use 301's.

I just set up my domain to do that (not my main domain, but a test resold domain) I am tesing using enoms dns servers that are free with the domain registration. This way if I have to move hosts in a hurry, I can have the dns changed in a matter of seconds.

Anyway, I have the WWW A record set to the IP address of the server and the @ A record set to the URL option with a value of http://www.mydomain.com.

This way if someone visits mydomain.com they will be redirected to www.mydomain.com

**edit**
Posted too quickly, although this works, it is a 302 not a 301. I guess I will have to come up with something else.

Back