One man's quest to get PHP 5 on linux server

DeepakG

Perch
I hope I am not the only one with the issue.

I'm on a linux account with obviously PHP 4. I have been checking this forum for several months now looking for any signs of PHP 5 being available.

So it turns out we are finally upgrading to HSphere 3.0 and PHP5 should be available for linux. But I still don't see it in my control panel.

I go to http://www.joodohost.com/ and it is being advertised that PHP 4 and 5 is available for linux customers. hmm.

So, I get on the live chat and talk to a support rep. Here's the discussion:

Chat Information
You are now chatting with 'Kawal'
Kawal: Welcome to JodoHost Live Chat. How may I help you?
Deepak: I wanted to switch to PHP 5
Deepak: I'm an existing linux customer on php 4
Deepak: ticket #: BJM-29334-561
Kawal: please give me your username
Deepak: deepak
Kawal: While I am looking into this issue, please hold for few minutes.
Deepak: sure
Kawal: sorry php4 is available on your server
Kawal: and this is not possible to switch to another server
Deepak: why not
Deepak: I've been a customer for a long time
Kawal: if you need php5 then you have to signup for new account
Deepak: is it possible for someone to manually copy files and db?
Deepak: what about existing customers who need PHP 5?
Deepak: any solution for them
Deepak: rather than leaving Jodohost
Kawal: you can signup for new account
Deepak: and my data will be copied there?
Kawal: you have to do that manually
Kawal: we will only provide backup

I'm trying to bad mouth Jodo Host by posting this here. I've been a customer for 4 years now. I am just trying to understand the solution provided by this rep.

Does anyone know if creating a new account and manually trying to copy all files and database is the correct approach for me? My mysql database has about 100 tables and supports several website.

I was just hoping that a staff member can do the copy for me using some tools available to them instead of me trying to fiddle around with it and probably spending several days if not weeks to get it setup.

Any suggestions are welcome.

Deepak

php5 server will be up next week, it will require a move of all content to a new server however.

Would it be possible to have it done by opening a support ticket? Or do I need to open a new account and transfer it myself?

Thanks,
Deepak

support ticket will work to handle it :) not ready quite yet however, the MySQL5 is up now though!

Ok, I can wait a little longer I suppose. Please do announce when support is ready to migrate.

I am looking forward to using the XML features of PHP 5. Many CMS systems are planning to eventually end support for PHP 4 so sooner we migrate the better.

Deepak

Are we there yet...?

Meaning, can existing customers start to upgrade to PHP 5?

I just couldn't wait more, had tp check.

-Deepak

:) it will be up within the next 12-24 hours or less, I just have to be at the airport to pick up a very important visitor or it would be in the next 3 hours.

Back