Open Relays?

Seems blacklists/spam/open relays are a recurring problem here, based on the messages in this forum, but I figured I'd post it anyway. Trouble ticket has already been submitted.

Got the following message in response to an email sent to a friend with a Yahoo mail account:

Hi. This is the qmail-send program at mail.m****here.biz.
I'm afraid I wasn't able to deliver your message to the following addresses.
This is a permanent error; I've given up. Sorry it didn't work out.

<[email protected]>:
Connected to 67.28.114.36 but greeting failed.
Remote host said: 421 VS1-IP Excessive unknown recipients - possible Open Relay http://help.yahoo.com/help/us/mail/spam/spam-18.html (#4.1.8)
I'm not going to try again; this message has been in the queue too long.

--- Enclosed are the original headers of the message.

Subject: Re: Fwd: FW: Start Time
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2004 16:41:39 -0400
To: "xxxxxxxxxx" <[email protected]>

(Body supressed)

There was some change in qmail's configuration which caused it to go open relay. We are looking into this issue and the problem should be rectified very soon

As such, our mail server IP is not in any blacklist

The main lists to be concerned about are Spews, SpamHaus and SpamCop.

We are listed by none. The mail server was never open relay, there was no configuration change as I stated.

SMTP authentication stopped working and there is one customer who was abusing the mail system very badly over the last few days. We have blocked his IP and are cleaning up the queue

Email should return to normal shortly

issue resolved. Yahoo emails are going through

We had to clean up the queue. Now there are only 1300 emails in it, down from 12,000

I just got this error message on Sat 8/28/2004 10:56 AM from a bounced e-mail generated from my PHPBB.

Connected to 204.127.203.150 but sender was rejected.

Remote host said: 550-63.209.158.6 blocked by blacklist.sequoia.ops.asp.att.net.

550 Blocked for abuse. Please contact the administrator of your ISP or sending mail service.

Yash, do you expect this to clear up or what should we do?

Thanks.

There 1 or 2 small ISPs that are blocking us. Everyone else including Yahoo, Hotmail, Gmail, mail.com have us as legitimate email.

I'm looking into this and will try to contact them to lift the block. Normally these ISPs do it themselves within a week

Back