Out of RAM

Hi,
I started my VPS service last week, I mainly bought it to host a chat service, it run locally on my windowsXP (256MBRam) without any problem at all.

Now when i installed it on my VPS account, I am always out of resources because of it.

I am not happy with my Windows VPS account, i think it is not suitable for me ;(

I think I saw it running java?
Java is very high on RAM, and the more people the more it will use, with windows VPS you have a pagefile that is the same as the amount of ram you have, on your local pc, did you have anyone chatting on it?
What is the "virtual memory" usage of the application? On your home PC you may have 256MB of RAM but 3-4GB of virtual memory.

I don't have anyone chatting yet, I just starts the service in IIS and Resources went out.

I am running this Java service on my 256MB PC and it is running normally, when I restart the VPS and start the service, resources goes to 96% immediatly. when I stop this service, it goes down to 58%.

The problem is: Is only starting the service can take all this resources? although I have none on the chat... even I didn't open the chat windows!

Is this a problem on Windows 2003 64bit... to take all this resources!

Is the Value VPS plan.. sufficent to anything!

I am on my second month now... and unhappy with the VPS X(

I was already billed for my 2nd month, can I cancel this month and have my money back... I submitted a ticket for the billing department.

The java process is what was taking all your ram, your question will be addressed on the email. You CCed me a copy of it.

Is it true that Windows 64 bit uses 4 times the Ram for application than the 32 bit version?

The 320 MB Guranteed Memory is enough for Java on Windows 2003 32 bit, it is not the same on the 64 bit

No, thats not true. 64bit simply means we can address more memory space on the server more efficiently, resulting in better performance for customers.

Please rmemeber a Windows 2003 server account is different from a Windows XP machine. Also with 256MB Ram, I'm sure you are using your page file alot. I have 1GB of ram on my WinXP machine and I'm using around 500MB at most times

If you are running other applications such as plesk on your winvps account, it could be reducing the amount of available ram. I've seen customers run Java successfully.. if the Value account is unsuitable, the Silver will be.

The memory AVAILABLE is all that is more/better on windows x64, it uses 64 bit memory addressing making it not need PAE(Physical Address Extensions) to address more than 4GB of RAM.

Back