Outgoing Email Problems

datagrid

Guppy
I'm having a problem similar to others that I have read in this forum, but those are getting old at this point. And they provided no help for me.

Outgoing email will not go out. I use Outlook for the client and have tried Outlook Express. I have 2 other domains on this host and the email works on those. Which should show I know how to set things up.

Here are my settings:
outgoing = mail.mydomain.com
incoming = mail.mydomain.com
Outgoing SMTP Server requires authentification

The username and password work when I use the provided webmail services. Although I did notice that it took over a minute after I clicked the send button in webmail before it appeared to do anything.

I have opened a ticket (34151) and the solution did not fix anything.

When I test the account settings, it fails and here is the message:

Send test e-mail message: the specified server was found, but there was no response from the server. Please verify that the port and SSS information is correct. To access these settings close this dialoge, then click More Settings and click on the Advanced tab.

So it can see the outgoing server, but the server won't accept the outgoing mail.

Please help.

The problem was identified and resolved.
You can check the same in Outlook, as
well as your webmail.

Let us know if you face this problem again.

Well thank you for your efforts, but I have mixed success with your fix. If I create the mail account in my computer in Outlook, it sends and receives fine now. That's good.

If I use my client's computer with the same email account settings as mine, it still fails when sending a message. It receives OK though. This leads me to think the problem is on my client's computer or network.

So I disabled, antivirus, zonealarm firewall and tried again. Still doesn't work. WinXP SP2 has not been installed yet, the Windows firewall is not turned on. There is a hardware firewall too, however this account used to work last week right through that firewall with no problem. So I tend to think that is not the problem today.

My computer and my client's have the same ISP with the same DNS settings even though we are physically located 10 miles or so apart. (which suggests we are using some different dsl equipment along the way somewhere). I have run out of things to check. Do I need to flush the dns cache on my client's computer? Is that related to the problem at all?

Do you have another suggestion? thanks in advance for your help. The client is starting to miss his email and I'm starting to hear about it.

If you suspect that its a DNS problem then try
"ping mail.yourdomain.com". If it resolves to
its correct IP on the client's PC. Then it is
not a DNS problem.

If it is getting resolved, but you are not getting
echo replies in ping, then probably there is some
network or firewall issue.

If all goes well then try "telnet mail.yourdomain.com 25"
from the command prompt. you should get something
like 220 mail.xxxxxxx.xxx ESMTP. If you get this output
then your client's computer is able to connect to the
Server over SMTP. In this case you can try some other
Email client instead of Outlook.

Ping works, but telnet returns an error as follows:

connecting to...mail.domain...could not open a connection to the host, on port 25: connect failed

Please help me interpret this. Thank you.

Problem solved! The problem had nothing to do with Jodohost.

The ISP was blocking port 25 for this client as is does for all dynamic IP accounts to reduce the amount of SPAM leaving their servers. Their solution was for me to use their outgoing mail server in the email client. That works. But I am wondering if I could have still used the mail.domain.com outgoing mail server thru jodohost if I used a different port? Do you allow the use of a different port for that?

Thank you for all your help. I am sorry that I caused you to research this issue when the problem was elsewhere!

I've encounter this problem too. Is there a resolution. I notice the post is quiet old, but surely someone else has come across this problem

Back