Outlook 2003 with IMAP Problems

brawney

Perch
I have always used Outlook Express with IMAP here at JH and it works fine. I installed Outlook 2003 last night, migrated my email accounts into it from Outlook Express, and I'm getting these errors:

Task 'Checking for new mail in subscribed folders on <mailbox name>' reported error (0x800CCC0E) : 'Outlook is unable to download folder (null) from the IMAP e-mail server for account <mailbox name>. Error: Unable to connect to the server. If you continue to receive this message, contact your server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP).'
It is consistent that at least one of my 3 IMAP accounts gets this error every time it goes out to check for mail. But it moves around between 1, 2 or all 3 of these IMAP accounts. All POP3 accounts are working fine.

If anyone has an idea of how to resolve this problem I would greatly appreciate the tip. Thanks.

Yes, use the option Change an E-mail account, click "Change", then "More Settings", then "Advanced" and write "INBOX" in Root folder path.\

:]

Hi!

I'm having the same problem here. And your solution simply doesn't work for me. I can have up to two IMAP account but when I add a third i start to get these error messages. Please advise.

Nicke

I have the same problem. I raised a support ticket with Jodo a little while ago about this but the said there was nothing they could do.

I tried the suggestion about the INDOX in root folder but that doesn't solve the problem either. Any other suggestions would be useful.

It is quite disappointing that I can't even use IMAP email.

Bruce Griffin

Actually I found out what my problem was. I just recently installed SP2 on my WinXP box and after that the problems begun.

Microsoft have added limitations to the TCP/IP stack in order to make it harder for worms (viruses) to spread.

You should take a look in your Event viewer and see if you have entries like this "EventID 4226: TCP/IP has reached the security limit imposed on the number of concurrent TCP connect attempts".

If you do, take a look at this page for a fix: http://www.lvllord.de/4226fix/4226fix.htm

IT SOLVED MY PROBLEM! :)

Good luck!

Nicke

lodeon,

No joy with that one either. Couldn't find a event log with the problem you suggested. I guess I am resigned to POP access :-(

Hello,

I had some of the same problems with IMAP. I run my own mail server and my own IMAP server here at home and do systems administration for a living. Here's one more suggestion that I can offer:

1. Create a new Outlook PST (use data file management feature) and make it a Outlook PST (97-2002) type.

2. Change your default delivery location for all mail to point to this PST

3. Remove your Outlook 2003 PST files from Outlook.

4. Add the following exceptions to Windows XP SP2 firewall:

Port 143 TCP
Port 143 UDP

Combined with the options above I have been able to stablize Outlook 2003 with IMAP, it's still not great but it doesn't crash all the time. Even Mozilla's Thunderbird isn't that great for IMAP, I personally have been looking for a client similar to Linux's Evolution, which looks and acts the same as Outlook 2003, but also includes LDAP editing as a standard feature.

I have been using Thounderbird for a long time with no problems at all. Works great for me and the rest of the company... I am also not using exchange, I am using Kerio Mailserver.

I am also having the problems with the Null errors on only one computer. The rest of the computers that use 2003 work fine.

This worked for me:

Using Outlook 2003. IMAP to our mail server (running on a linux box)
Under the advanced tab for the specific IMAP account set the following...

Root Folder Path= .\INBOX

Back