page auto reload??

snooper

Perch
Hi all

i have an ASP based mailing script on a site (opt-in, of course!), that after some 400 addresses into the mailing batch
(where each subscriber gets his own email sent) - the page suddenly reloads itself, launching the mailing loop again...

there are no Meta refresh commands or other response.redirects on the page.

any idea what this could be?
could this be something the host has set? (its not a Jodo site)

i have the exact mailer working on another site (on a Jodo server), and it works fine. and infact this first site script was working fine too until a week or 2 back.

thanks!

They may have put in place some script timeouts to kill long running scripts, but that can also cause problems with ASP uploads, asp monitored downloads, and long running scripts, that are working properly.

thanks for the reply, Stephen.

indeed, because of the mailer sending to about 1200 emails, i have set the Server.ScriptTimeout to be very high, just in case.

maybe i should stagger it? do like 200 emails at a time?
anyone see another solution to overcome this issue?

thanks

(PS: the mailer is a modified version of the old WWG mailer)

edited: changed "session timeout" to "Server.ScriptTimeout"

Snooper,

I would suggest modifying it to send batch jobs, if you can do it successfully, there is even a market for selling it, but being that it is modified WWG, I don't think you can do that.
So if you could do this in .NET, I think you could sell the product as well.

Stephen said:
Snooper,

I would suggest modifying it to send batch jobs, if you can do it successfully, there is even a market for selling it, but being that it is modified WWG, I don't think you can do that.
So if you could do this in .NET, I think you could sell the product as well.

Sounds good.
'batches' you mean in 10's or 50's - immediate, or do you mean set to be sent and then they are sent later (such as with ConstantContact.com)

For what its worth - when an ASP mailing script does that it can be because the mail server is set to a maximum number of mails sent at once (I seem to recall the default maximum is around 20 odd)

The really bad news can be that the script goes in to a loop, keeps trying to send, cuts of after 20 then tries again. End results being the first 20 addressess on the list get MULTIPLE copies of the mail - the rest get none - then the script/server crashes - if you are lucky.

Its a common problem with UK based server companies - try asking them if they allow mailing scripts :D

Ask me how I know X(

Back