Page Caching

shamrox

Perch
Hey All,

I am having an issue. If I upload a new file then try to download it via http I get the old file. If I ftp it down I get the new one. The cache on that server needs to be fixed. It takes up to 15 minutes before I can http it down.

Could this be an caching issue on my side or on jodohost side. I do all the things like clearing the cache and temp internet files on my browser.

I was thinking that too. I believe most (big) isp's do this. i will have to do some behind the scene's stuff to make it work.

might depend on your Web Browser too..

for example i know for a fact FireFox has a cache problem

if i change code in my page it changes fine, but if i change an image its cached for ages, same with other external files (eg javascript and CSS)

i find i have to clear the cache in IE for FireFox to display the correct image/file

can be annoying

and i would of thought FTPin your file down would show the currect file as its direct, where as HTTP has chances of caching (eg ISP, Browser etc)

if its not your browser ask other people you know on other ISPs to try it out and see if its cached for them

Scotty_32 said:
...same with other external files (eg javascript and CSS)

i find i have to clear the cache in IE for FireFox to display the correct image/file

with included files, it's sometimes necessary to close 'all' the browser windows and reopen them to get the browser to refresh them properly. I've had this problem both in IE and mozilla-based browsers recently when using an included text file that held the site menu html.

Quote Yash
no, we do not have any sort of caching going on, on the webserver

Yash are asp pages on the server ever cached into memory to help server performace? I assumed they were.

Nathan

Nathan, only asp.net pages as they are in the compile page cache, but that is standard asp.net methods, it is the way it does or ASP.NET pages needing compiling would take 3-10 seconds to load each time.

Back