php mail not working in web8

I have a customer who has lots of code in php but they all use php mail function to send out emails, the problem is the emails never reach the destination. Submit ticket, the guy said it's because the return-path problem, and insisted to change to phpmailer. due to this stupid policy that prevent php standard mail function working and suggested the customer who know nothing about php to change code to use phpmailer??? I asked to talk to the manager, the live chat guy said they are busy and not available. Is this jodohost normally deal with the customer?!! I am really furious about this issue. Some of my customers in other linux boxes seems ok to send email by php mail but never with web8. The spamming check should be easily set to make exceptions for your own servers as the mail originators.

Seventhav,

the problem is that spammers use our servers to spam.

However, giving some more details to the error would be most helpful, there should be something in the error logs.

Stephen, you can have a look of ticket #HTV-96088-813. The customer tried to send himself emails using php mail function but the emails never received in his own email box that is in web8. It sounds very ridiculous that your own spam filter prevents your own server sending email to itself! This is quite common that after visitor does something on the website and the php code send email notifications to webmaster or administrator. Why jodohost insisted all customers using phpmailer to do that? How about the customer if he knows nothing about the code and the code is bought from somewhere else? Have a think, it's not a big deal but in jodo it looks very difficult to get contact to their manager level for the issues that is very important for customers.

I don't have any sites running on web8. But on the other servers where I have sites hosted, php mail() code works fine as long as the address being sent to is hosted by JodoHost. For example, code on a client's page reaches me because my email is hosted here.

To send mail outside of the JodoHost system, you need to implement SMTP authentication, which is not supported by php's mail() function. The phpmailer code is not particularly tough to implement. You could try the wrapper I wrote for it (http://skypanther.com/spmailer.php). I don't know that it's much easier but it provides some anti spamming features (so that your contact forms aren't used to send spam).

As a web developer or hosting provider, you need to be prepared to support your customers. You should know the environment, its capabilities, and its restrictions. When I moved my clients' here from another hosting company, I had to spend a bunch of time updating their mail code. It's a cost of doing business. The other option is to set up your own server (and then spend a lot of time keeping it patched and secure) or host someplace else. You'll face similar limitations no matter what you do. There are always choices that a hosting company must make and those choices will affect your sites. Perhaps they don't put restrictions on mail, but then mail might not work too well when their servers are used for spam and get repeatedly blacklisted.

I think JodoHost does a marvelous job for the vast majority of its customers.

Tim

Thanks for your message, Tim. The situation is that apart from this web8 server, the other Linux boxes seem to be fine. I know what you mean, but this is actually jodo's resposibility to sort this out. First, I tried to send email through php mail, all settings are correct including headers. The email was sent to the customer's own email box that's on jodo's server. It didn't work. Then I changed to use phpmailer through smtp, phpmailer returned as success, but email was never received. Please don't teach me how to program, I have been in software development and website coding for more than 10 years. Now the ticket still hangs over there and after more than 24 hours there was no answer to this problem.

I appreciate Jodo's work but this emailing problem was put up to their attention about 4 days ago, but still not fixed.

The question is simple, customer tried to send email from his website (on web8) to his own email box on the save server, but the email sent out never reached the destination. Simple as that. Neither php mail nor phpmailer worked.

Stephen, will you give me an answer of this?! My customer is frustrated because of this problem.

I can't give an answer as it is not my dept.

but Ranjan is making a sample with phpmailer on web8 to show you how it works.

Hello seventhav,

We have replied your ticket. Kindly check and reopen that ticket if you have any query regarding this.

Back