phpBB versus vBulletin

I'd be interested in hearing comments comparing phpBB to vBulletin. The objective is to determine whether vBulletin is worth the relatively inexpensive licensing fee for a relatively low volume BB to be used by a police force. (IOW, a good record against hacks would be a Very Good Thing.)

Also, is there any problem with or restriction on installing vBulletin on a reseller's customer account?

Charles

first, no issue in using vB, it is a well coded script it only because and issue when you have many highly active users, and in some respects how much you "mod" it up.

As for security vB has a better track record IMO. However adding mods just like it can hurt performance it can hurt security.

I prefer vB from user, mod, and admin standpoint.

I use vbulletin too, i would perfer it to phpBB. The $160 isnt all that much even for a small forum.

The only problem I have is that some of their support team can be rather rude at times. When you ask a question they think is easy, or you ask too many questions they just stop responding all togther, at least they did that to me.

For example, a quote from one of them on one of my support tickets.

(removed) said:
It does work when you do it right, make sure you know what your doing.

To me it just sounds rude, and snappy. But maybe its just me.

Hmmm....

I tend to respond....well, let's just say negatively to comments like that. They wouldn't like me very much after I replied. Even less after I called and asked to speak to whatever passes as the owner of the company.

Thanks for the advice and the heads up.

Charles

I forgot to ask this before...does anyone know whether attachments can be posted with messages in phpBB? My customer wants to put docs up that can be downloaded/viewed by others who can then comment on the docs.

I have found vBulletin much better than phpBB... I run a phpBB forums (two of them actually) and I have used vBulletin the ease of the vBulletin is at a better ease than phpBB. phpBB is less secure in my opinion than vBulletin.

But you can't really go wrong with either though.

Back