Plesk DNS and Name Servers

DavidG

Perch
Hi -

When we first came on board with WinVPS we created custom name servers from two IPs (neither of which was the main shared IP of the server).

Sometime later, we realized that on the Zone template, Plesk automtically inserts two entires (A and NS) for ns.clientdomainname.com in addition to any you may have created.

While functionality is fine, a DNS Tools or intodns.com test will show the Plesk-created name server entires as problemtatic (although the site will function just fine).

In any event, we began deleting these ns entires as well as removing them from our zone template.

I'm just sort of exprapolating form Linux/WHM here, but I'm wondering now if would it not have been better to include main shared IP as the primary name server when creating the custom name servers.

As of now, the main shared IP is simply an A record.

Again, I'm just going form what works in Linux/WHM, but should the main shared IP also be the primary IP behind custom name servers?

Thanks!

EDIT NOTE: While our VPS has been extremely reliable (and we know that Jodo has all sorts of redundancy built into it's network), is there any plans to issue IPs from outside of the same subnet for VPS? Aside from the general desirability of IPs from diff subnets, we would be unable to host a .de domain (there may be others as well) as they require name servers to be on seperate subnets.

We may be able to get you IPs from another subnet, we have about 5 different /24's that VPSes run on.

I think other questions were answered on ticket :) Basically, edit the template for DNS before signing up clients and it will work properly with no errors to the dns check sources.

We may be able to get you IPs from another subnet, we have about 5 different /24's that VPSes run on.

I think other questions were answered on ticket :) Basically, edit the template for DNS before signing up clients and it will work properly with no errors to the dns check sources.

Thanks for the info about the subnet.

Not sure what your'e referring to regrading the substance of the ticket :)

The tech confirmed that the Plesk ns entries were not an issue and advised not to worry about it.

That's a perfectly valid response as it doesn't pose any issue to the sites.

We fixed the issue anyways as described in my post above to get rid of the errors none the less.

Regarding wheather or not it's desirable to have the main shared IP behind the primary custom ns, if you (or anyone else) could provide some feedback it would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
David

Back