Post deletion

bro

Perch
I've just been reading Yash's announcement about old post deletions.

What a mistake... the one overriding reason why I picked Jodohost was that the forum showed absolutely no sign of support staff manipulation. Looking through the support forums of literally dozens of value hosts, this one was about the only one I could find that obviously wasn't faked. I have no problem at all with a host who's honest enough to let the warts show. I have a big, big problem with a host who pretends that everything in the garden is rosy, and never has any problems, because anyone with any experience of the net at all knows that just isn't so, even with hosts who have world-class reputations.
I came across so many hosts who faked forums, opinion polls, 'best host' sites, traded under a dozen different names, and who were obviously dishonest in their business that Jodohost came as a refreshing surprise.

I suggest that if the support team think that a lot of old problem threads make them look bad (tho not in my eyes at all), that they put a sticky post at the top of the old threads summarising how the problem has been permanently resolved, how long it took them, and why it won't happen again.

Anyway, rambling now.... :O

We do not delete posts which still have unresolved issues in them.. The thread will remain open till the issue is resolved.. general questions however will remain untouched..

This forum is meant for customers to interact with each other and exchange their problems.. and it will continue to do exactly that. We will only delete a thread once all issues inside it our resolved to the satisfaction of all parties..

The reason? I have an obligation to JodoHost as well. Potential customers read this forum and they normally confuse a resolved issue with an unresolved one (because they don't have time to read every single post) and get worried. They don't signup and we lose business..

The only other reason I delete a thread is when the issue is already posted in another one. The last few days i've wasted so many hours updating each thread individually regarding the status of the same problem. I just don't have the stamina to do that.

I will consider removing this policy by the end of this month.. its not permanent.. its just for the time-being. I do not believe I am being unfair by only deleting resolved issues... if you think I am, let me know

bro said:
I suggest that if the support team think that a lot of old problem threads make them look bad (tho not in my eyes at all), that they put a sticky post at the top of the old threads summarising how the problem has been permanently resolved, how long it took them, and why it won't happen again.

Anyway, rambling now.... :O

I wish vBulletin had the feature.. I would love putting a small note on top of threads..

I thought vBulletin had the sticky post feature.. didn't I see it in another thread? maybe not.

Anyhow, what I'm saying is that when I was still a potential customer, the fact that the old, sometimes uncomplimentary, posts were still there gave me a lot of confidence in jodohost. that's the reason i actually signed up! ;)
okay, i didn't read every single thread, but i read through enough of them till the end to convince me that you actually had a support department (some don't...), and that you really did make an effort to resolve every issue. a little honesty goes a long way wih me, and with everyone else, i suspect.
up to you, of course.

one thing, tho. if you delete all the 'resolved' posts, won't that make it look like you never fix anything? 8o

now, if you could just fix that win2003 thing... :)

bro said:
when I was still a potential customer, the fact that the old, sometimes uncomplimentary, posts were still there gave me a lot of confidence in jodohost. that's the reason i actually signed up! ;)

This is also one of the reasons why I signed up, after being referred here. However, I agree with Yash to a point here, especially with the recent threads relating to the Win2003 problems. When this issue is completely resolved (my problems seem to be over, by the way, so I can afford the luxury of not being too over-critical anymore!!) I agree that the majority of the threads relating to the issue should be deleted. These problems will be irrelevant to both current and potential customers.

You and I (bro) may have read enough of the forum posts, but most people have shorter attention spans than you or I on the net. It's a tough one, that's for sure, but I think they are doing OK so far.

Think about it this way - surely it's in all our interests that Jodohost is successful?

Hopefully with increased success will come better service, better support, better prices - though actually, despite the recent goings on - I think overall Jodo beats most hosts I've dealt with on all three issues already. Yes, I think the ticket staff could be a little more helpful on occasions, but not everything can be perfect 100% of the time. This could also be a large part of the problem whilst I'm on the subject....

Lots of the posts that would be targetted for deletion seem to me to arise from problems that would be better placed in the ticket system. ie - they relate to individual accounts. There have been plenty of examples over the past few days! I know Jodo are already addressing this, but as people begin to have more confidence that they are getting better answers and service from support staff on the ticket system, less people will feel the need to post on the forum FIRST - like I know I have.

I've only been here a few weeks, and believe I just picked an unfortunate time to join, but I'm staying. And that's my last word!
:]

What about to close the thread, wait 24-48 hours and then move it to a special topic, something like "archive" or "solved problems" ?

Agreed. That is a good idea. Move them instead of deleting them. I was at GearHost (who loved to delete any and every post that looked bad on them in any way), and i left because of their post-deleting frenzy...

KCWebMonkey said:
Agreed. That is a good idea. Move them instead of deleting them. I was at GearHost (who loved to delete any and every post that looked bad on them in any way), and i left because of their post-deleting frenzy...

So... 'solved problems' area it is! What say you Jodo? ;)

I agree that moving them to an archive instead of deleting would be nice.

Personally I can't stand situations where a company pretends there is no problem, or that the problem is with me. I left my last hosting company when they kept denying there was a problem with the security on their Imail SMTP server even though I demonstrated them 3 times that it's possible to use the server anonymously for spamming, causing automated e-mails from my site to be blocked by some RBL listings...

Anyway, moving them to a clearly named subforum should avoid confusion, without coloring the picture too much. I suppose there are naive potential customers around that think hosting companies can have 100% correct operation all the time, but they are probably a minority ;)

SubSpace said:
I agree that moving them to an archive instead of deleting would be nice.

Personally I can't stand situations where a company pretends there is no problem, or that the problem is with me.

I don't think that is what Jodohost is trying to do (and I hope you aren't implying that they are). If they were trying to conceal problems, they would need to delete quite a few more threads than they have. I accept Yash's explanation of the issue and, after using jodohost for 10 months now, I think they have been very honest about problems.

However, I agree with what you are saying about archiving these threads. Sometimes these threads come in handy as a reference.

riley

riley said:
I don't think that is what Jodohost is trying to do (and I hope you aren't implying that they are). If they were trying to conceal problems, they would need to delete quite a few more threads than they have. I accept Yash's explanation of the issue and, after using jodohost for 10 months now, I think they have been very honest about problems.

However, I agree with what you are saying about archiving these threads. Sometimes these threads come in handy as a reference.

riley

also agreed.

riley said:
I don't think that is what Jodohost is trying to do (and I hope you aren't implying that they are).

Luckily not, though sometimes it takes their ticket staff a large quantity of back and forth communication before they realise that there is in fact a problem ;)

SubSpace said:
Luckily not, though sometimes it takes their ticket staff a large quantity of back and forth communication before they realise that there is in fact a problem ;)

and even more time to figure out a solution to fix it...but I think it would be a good suggestion to have them acknowledge that there is a problem and state that they are aware of the problem and are currently working towards a solution.

In most cases I have found my issues resolve very quickly but lately some of the issues are more difficult so it would be nice to know that someone at least has read our tickets and we are not being ignored. If it is affecting a large number of people, having a status thread on the forum would be nice even if it says...we are still working on it...no it doesn't solve the problem but it certainly would help keep my frustrations down. Just a thought.

I have always loved Jodohost because of the communication and would like it to stay that way if it is possible.

If anyone gets a poor response, forward it to me - [email protected]

given the volume of tickets, our techs do make mistakes (they are human) in 1 out of 20 cases. It is difficult for me to read each and every ticket response as well. The only way for us to improve support responses is through customer feed back so I'd appreciate if people forward me or Atul a copy of the response

Yash said:
If anyone gets a poor response, forward it to me - [email protected]

given the volume of tickets, our techs do make mistakes (they are human) in 1 out of 20 cases. It is difficult for me to read each and every ticket response as well. The only way for us to improve support responses is through customer feed back so I'd appreciate if people forward me or Atul a copy of the response

I am glad you are taking this seriously because it appears to me that there is absolutely no thought put in when addressing tickets...which makes us wonder why bother submitting a ticket. This is not what I am used to at Jodohost...so I will make sure to let you know in the future. Thanks Yash

Yorri, in 1 out of 10 cases you may have received an incorrect response. We are aware of that and we are working to improve responses

Please always use the ticket system as your first means to communicate your problem.. We always have a trained and qualified administrator looking into tickets..

Old support threads can be a great reference library to especially newer users. You could be removing a valuable resource there. So long as you make a last post on a thread and lock it it's pretty clear that the issue is resolved.
Just 2c.

Back