problem with Jet engine service pack 7

yorri

Perch
So far I have seen many complaints about a problem where ODBC dsn's stop working after either upgrading to the latest MDAC and/or the Jet Service pack 7.

After an administrator updated the server, the ODBC connection stopped working. Switching to using a DSNless connection (OLEDB) continued to work.

I then upgraded the server to Jet service pack 8 and that didn't seem to fix it.

So I did some searching and found that there are many people who have had this problem as well. Some say that as soon as the removed service pack 7, the dsn worked again.

Wondering if Jodohost has upgraded these drivers? and if not...maybe it would be good to know that it can break existing applications.

I'm sorry, I couldn't extract much information on your problem from that.
What error are you getting and are you connecting via DSN or DSN-less?

Also, let me know of the URL where the problem exists, your database name & path as well as the DSN name (if you have created one)

Yash said:
Also, let me know of the URL where the problem exists, your database name & path as well as the DSN name (if you have created one)

This isn't a problem I am having on Jodohost.

I am telling you as a warning because it doesn't seem to be documented by Microsoft.

It seems to affect DSNs connecting to MS Access after upgrading the server to the Jet Service Pack # 7 or 8

after searching the internet, I found a couple of newgroup posts where other developers removed service pack 7 and the dsn's seemed to work again.

Before updating the server, the MS Access DSN's worked and then after updating they stop working and give and unspecified error. There was no change in code. But, when I change from using a DSN to dsnless it is ok.

I then tried updating my home server to service pack 8 and that didn't seem to fix the problem.

Then just the other day someone else I know seemed to have problems with his database on their webhost after they did updates but I don't know what updates they did. They were able to resolve the issue but I don't know if it is the same problem or what they did to fix it. I was unable to find a workaround except to change my code from using a dsn to dsnless

yorri, let me know the exact error you are getting and the page it is occuring on. Send this across in a ticket if you want it to be private.

Yash said:
yorri, let me know the exact error you are getting and the page it is occuring on. Send this across in a ticket if you want it to be private.

I don't think you are reading my posts.

1) This is a problem I am having on other servers NOT JODOHOST so I can't give you a url. (but I am not the only one with this problem it seems)
2) I am telling you this so you are aware to possibly not cause yourself headaches if you upgrade the Jodohost servers with this update
3) The error is unspecified. It just says....unspecified error and that is it.

I just wanted you to be aware of it to save the hours of searching the net for the problem in case you encounter it on your servers..that is all.

Or, if you have encountered this and know of a fix I certainly would appreciate knowing what to do.

Oh, OK. Thank you for the heads-up.
These sort of upgrades are first tried on a test server. Only critical updates go on the live servers immediately.

I tried updating my server with service pack 8 but it didn't seem to change anything.

Although I am glad you test this things out on test servers, I am sure you can't test every single situation so that is why I thought to sent the info over to you.

The best I could find was a newsgroup post from a guy who reversed the update and his code started working again which points to the service pack being the problem...everyone else seems to think it's a security issue (you know...making sure the database folder has write access and the IIS account has write access as well so that it can create the access lock file.)

Apparently a few people have had problems with an oracle driver as well but I am sure that isnt' an issue here :)

No Panic ! :D

I have got a solution !

In fact there is a bug ( To my mind ... ) in the msjet40.dll library since MS Jet 4.0 SP7. The SP8, is not better ...

The solution is to replace the msjet40.dll library Version

> Msjet40.dll 4.0.7328.0 (SP7)
or
> Msjet40.dll 4.0.8015.0 ( SP8 )

by

> Msjet40.dll 4.0.6218.0 ( SP6 ) which is included in Windows 2000 SP3 or Windows XP SP1a

You can download the Library here :
http://www.universpc.com/msjet40.dll

Here is a link to Microsoft Web Site where the content of different SP is described:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;239114

If you have a better solution using SP8 with diff?rent parameters in the registry for example, please, let me know, but my solution works.

Have fun :p

Good Bye

Back