Problems with FTP

Paul

Guppy
Is anyone having problems with FTP?

I've tried logging in to win4 using ftp from the command prompt, Cuteftp and AceFTP and this happens every time:

ftp win4.jodohost.com
Connected to win4.jodohost.com.
220 WIN4 Microsoft FTP Service (Version 5.0).
User (win4.jodohost.com:(none)): <MyAccountName>
331 Password required for <MyAccountName>.
Password:
230 User <MyAccountName>logged in.
ftp> dir
200 PORT command successful.
150 Opening ASCII mode data connection for /bin/ls.

And there it just hangs. I have set CuteFTP/AceFTP to use port, not pasv.

Any ideas?

Yes, behind both a NAT gateway and firewall (zonealarm)

Adding the win4 server to my list of trusted hosts fixes the problem, but is not the ideal solution.

I couldn't get anything to work behind my Nat with the exception of BulletFTP and FlashFXP clients because they allow me to enter the IP address of the connection (local computer is not a valid ip address on the internet when behind a router).

However...having said that...something funky was happening with my router so I reset it and now all my ftp programs seem to work.

I spent hours researching this and it seems that most people's experience with Port ftp access from behind a nat router have been varied..including my own.

I would suggest shutting of ZoneAlarm first and see if that is where you are being blocked...if so...then you should be able to configure it...otherwise if it is your nat router causing the problem...there are no settings we can set to make it...it either works or it doesn't.

Maybe try resetting it to factory defaults like I did (and then reconfigure) will help...other than that...good luck.

just wanted to say one more thing that I forgot....

the router should be changing your local ip addy to the ip address of your internet connection..it seems to do this for the most part but people's experience is that with ftp it isn't 100% reliable...you shouldn't have to configure it specifically to work as this is the idea of internet sharing devices but then depending on which router you have...they all do have their own way of doing things from what I have found out.

Not sure this helps but....if it does great!

Back