Question about IPs and VPS

Hi friends,

I tried to clarify this doubt in the chat but I had to quit after going back and forth with no result.

I have a VPS account which includes 2 IP addresses. Few weeks ago I installed a dedicated SSL certificate and I remember having an issue because the IP I was using for my site was "Shared".
Stephen explained me that there is necessary to have one "Shared" IP, so I had to change my site to the second one...which is "Exclusive" (btw..this guy is awesome)

Now my doubts:
- What is the reason we need one "Shared" IP?
- If I want to add another domain and install another SSL certificate do I need to purchase a separate dedicated IP address?

I'm using Plesk.

Thanks !!

Shared IP is the default IP for any domain, if you remove that Ip as shared you won't be able to add further domains as you will not have an IP to add it on, exclusive is for SSL, and if you need SSL on these you can go for it, and if you need to add domains further at a later time you may need to buy them.

Thanks Stephen,

So I understand that if I want to add another domain with SSL I can use my remaining IP address and change it to Exclusive.

Right?

Thanks Stephen,

So I understand that if I want to add another domain with SSL I can use my remaining IP address and change it to Exclusive.

Right?

as long as you don't have anther domain/subdomain on the shared IP, it should work.

Back