Recomendation on how to handle email.

So, I got one VPS some time ago, and I'm happily testing a website. I didn't want any CP, because it was going to be too much resources and space wasted. So, I had to do the setup by hand which was not hard at all.
But for DNS, I didn't even touch the Ms DNS Server and went to EveryDNS. So far, seems it does what it is supposed to do.

Now, I don't have email. What are my choices? Is the Ms Mail server good enough? If I go with it, how would I handle the spam waves?
There are outside email services you could recommend?

I've had pretty good results at my day job with SmarterMail on a Windows server.

It provides webmail, pop, imap and (of course) smtp. There is a free version for one domain and ten users.

If you're just wanting something for your own personal mail then forwarding to Gmail works pretty well. That's what I do. Gmail allows you to change the "From" address, has great spam filtering and provides webmail, pop and lots of space all for free.

Cheers
Ross

Thanks for the recommendation, I'll take a look.

As well, in the former job I had, they used this thing: ArGoSoft Mail Server

But all I remember was problem after problem. The spam filter was so rudimentary based in simple keywords and we got lots of mails misteriously lost.

There is also MailEnable which our techs know somewhat better(a version of it comes with plesk, some quirks to it that we have to seek out answers for)
Mailenable has a free version, there is also open source hmailserver, some people REALLY like it.

Wait a minute. I didn't realize Mail Enable is what one gets when Plesk is installed, which is included for free.

Can't I have just Mail Enable installed in my VPS ?

Yes Plesk gives Mail Enable Standard Edition as a part of it.

How every you can install it on your own and if you want send us a ticket and we shall install it for you.

important things here
decide your primary mail domain e.g mail.yourdomain.com and create a rdns for it (for rDNS you will have to let us know what IP will you use as rDNS mostly it will be the 1st IP configured)

fischermx,

take a second to cruise out (to the swsoft and mailenable forums) and learn a bit more about the limitations with mailenable (the free version that comes with PLESK vs. the PRO version that you can buy), and decide if it's good enough for what you need.

Some users see significant issues with ME and aren't too happy with the way it plays with PLESK -- It's not immediately clear if you can actually get the spam & virus filters to play nice w/o issues in the long run.

FWIW, YMMV

Wait a minute !, again. :)

Can't I simply setup the domain under a normal shared hosting account, the drop the A records and ad my own pointing to my VPS?

That would give me emal hosting for $6.95 :tongue: and DNS management !

Is this allowed?

Back