Secure password for database?

drsmith

Guppy
I was trying to setup a SQL Server database for my site, but the form won't let me choose a secure password! If I put in something out of the dictionary or with only lowercase characters, it takes it, but anything with punctuation is tossed out with a cryptic error about the password matching the login id.

What's worse is I looke at the javascript code being used to perform the validation and it's the most cryptic piece of code I've yet had to decipher. My interpretation is that the validation code has a bug in it - it doesn't do a well thought out job of comparing the input to the validation pattern and the level of obfuscation employed would make it VERY easy for the programmer to do something incorrectly.

Anyone else run into something similar or is everyone out there just using simple passwords? Anyone else have thoughts of modifying the script to allow a proper password to be entered? I'm not advocating hacking the server, but I'm at a loss to figure out how anyone else would get around this.

I'm assuming you're talking ASP.net Enterprise Manager?
I'm not sure if MS SQL Server itself allows punctuation, but with the alphabet in both upper and lower case along with numbers you can get a sufficiently secure password :) 218 trillion possible combinations for an 8 character password is already quite a lot...

I wasn't referring to ASP.Net enterprise manager, but rather the cpanel for creating a login. I believe SQL Server does take symbols - we've been using symbols for years now at my workplace. Since NT4, if it's on the keyboard, it's fair game for a password, IIRC.

I think I can probably change the password with some code on my end, anyway. My feeling was that the cpanel page shouldn't push new users into using passwords that would only be the least-common-denominator of the offered databases. It's not that big of a deal otherwise.

Back