Security Help/Advice Requested

JoeS.

Perch
Hello -

I have several sites with jodohost that utilize CMS and require directories set to 777. I've been told by other developers using this software that this "shouldn't" be the case and that it has something to do with the way JH has php configured - but honestly, that doesn't matter - the point is, at the moment, these sites require some folders set to 777. This concerns me, and I would like any assistance or advice I can get about ways to secure these through htaccess.

I opened a ticket with Jodohost to ask this question and was told I should look it up on the internet. I found this response less than helpful, so I thought I'd ask it here. If you have specific commands you use in htaccess that help you rest easier, I'd love to know. Thanks in advance.

777 is not needed unless you want some php based script to be able to write to the directory.
Even in those cases, the permission should be revoked when task is done.
If this is not possible, such directory should not be made web accessible.

I've had similar problems with Joomla installs and different photo galleries.
Since the whole point is to upload images it's not something that you can turn on and off and maintain usability.

However, I've notice the problem seems to be server-specific. The same Joomla version and gallery may need 777 on one server, but the same setup will function at 755 on another server...

If you come up with anything please share!
I keep trying to make the time to investigate this further...but I never get very far.

Back