Security Mods ticking off my client: Ticket OVY-98111-751

Ticket OVY-98111-751

My client has numerous wordpress blogs and several Joomla sites.

They are getting errors like:

These are WordPress blogs. They go to create a post, in the post area they can upload a picture and when they click the upload they get the following error:

"Unable to create directory /hsphere/local/home/?????/blog.???????.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/06. Is its parent directory writable by the server?"

And:

On many of their wordpress blogs they go into the Presentation menu and then Theme editor. Previously they could edit all of those themes and save it right in the browser, but now they see the message "If this file were writable you could edit it." listed below the theme edit box.

This should not be the case and at some point (they don't know when) it started showing this. I believe it coincided with the security mods put in place by JH. They don't always go into this section, but lately they have needed to and started noticing these issues.

And lastly trying to upgrade their forum / joomla software they are getting message saying they do not have permissions.

I need these resolved asap. My client is upset that these security mods are hitting them again. They were hit by these back when they were original done, but now they are picking up work on the other blogs they weren't doing much with.

And finally the BIG question... will they continue to have these problems on every new blog or domain they create. They cannot be the only wordpress blog users at JH. I can't imagine everyone having to send in tickets everytime they need their software to function as it should.

Thank you.

These are NOT related to mod security, this is most likley due to file ownership problems and the files just need their permissions fixed. just submit a ticket to have all the files permissions corrected.

the problem is that a file uploaded from the web has a different owner than uploaded via FTP.

These are NOT related to mod security, this is most likley due to file ownership problems and the files just need their permissions fixed. just submit a ticket to have all the files permissions corrected.

the problem is that a file uploaded from the web has a different owner than uploaded via FTP.

Stephen, I am not sure this is the case... these all worked before the mods took place a while back. I looked at the folders and they look like all of the other wordpress security rights I have seen in the past.

Actually I just checked and I have the same problems.

I already have a ticket in where I last posted info at 8:52AM Eastern this morning... haven't heard anything back yet. I will post an update to this ticket based on what you have said and perhaps it is file rights. I just know we got similar errors in the past and was told it was due to the security mods.

Anyway... I need this looked at asap as they are trying to get blogs posted and need everything fully functional.

Also if rights are the issue... how are they getting changed or fouled up? Is this going to happen on every new Wordpress blog install?

Whatever you did made no difference whatsoever. I have responded to the ticket in detail again and need each questioned answered as they are all important... don't answer just 1 of them please, but each of them. I have tried to list them in numbered order to make it easy to keep track of.

Also is there a way to talk with someone directly so we can work on this live and not have 6 hours plus delay between my post and then the next reply from JH on my ticket. This client cannot do their business and we need this resolved asap.

Thank you.

We have had several more exchanges in the ticket and basically being told all items are fixed and they are not. I am not saying anyone is deliberately saying it is when it isn't. Possibly what the tech is looking at and what I am looking at is different or they are not following what I am saying.

What I have proposed in my ticket is I setup a remote session for the tech to look at so I can walk him/her through the problem areas. We are working up to 24 hours now and still only have one part corrected and we have a number of blogs still with security issues... and I really don't know which ones are due to the Security mod and which are correctable by the end user. And yes, I was told part of the problem was due to the security mod.

Stephen or Ranjan or other JH staff please let me know if JH would be willing to do a remote control to look at this with me.

My client has told me we have had PLENTY OF TIME to resolve this issue... about 24 hours. Help

Greg

We have had several more exchanges in the ticket and basically being told all items are fixed and they are not. I am not saying anyone is deliberately saying it is when it isn't. Possibly what the tech is looking at and what I am looking at is different or they are not following what I am saying.

Update... I have resolved one of the issues through permissions that the end user can control. This was not related to the security mod.

The other issue with not being able to upload vie the editor in wordpress is still a problem on a number of domains.

The third problem with security looks to be a permissions issue, but I had to give it 777 on the folder and underlying files to get it to work. Even 776 didn't work which is strange. I have updated the ticket with this info as well.

So ultimately the last real issue is the not being able to upload via the editor in wordpress for a number of domains.
Greg

I can't really help with this, I am not trying to pass it off, but this is on unix and not my specialty.

I can't really help with this, I am not trying to pass it off, but this is on unix and not my specialty.

I'm on live chat with Deepak now... trying to get this last one fixed.

Thanks... I knew you were the Windows guy, just needed to get someone so I can tell the client they are back in business.

Thanks

All resolved... a bunch of permissions based issues... you were right on with that Stephen. Just some very strange stuff.

Thanks

Back