SendForm.aspx - asp form question

I am moving a site that was created by someone else but I am not too familiar with asp.

They have several forms on their website now and the action on all of them is /root/SendForm.aspx

All the forms are different, are they all using the same asp file for processing?

I am more familiar with php files where I have to write a different php file to process each different form in a site.

I was hoping I could get the one aspx file to move to this server but could not get it so will have to write a new one. It would be great if I could just use one file for all the different forms. Is that possible?

thanks

I have one you can try that can be configured via the web.config file
pm me if you're interested

Hi VG. If you are moving the site, you must have access to the site's files.. why don't you have access to SendForm.aspx? Isn't it part of the site?

I'd suggest you explain to the client that you need all files in the site or there's not much you can do. How can you re-write something if you don't have the original or know what it does?

Yeah normally I would just ftp in and move all the files to my server and its real simple. BUT, this is a realtor site with thier own custom content management system and they don't give the realtors ftp access to the server. He has to call or email them to get changes made and they take too long so that is why he wants me to maintain his site.

I can usually just create a new file in php to process the forms if needed.

But I was curious about this site because all the forms point to the same file sendform.aspx. I don't know much asp and was wondering how they use the same file to process every form? With my limited knowledge I always have to create a separate php file for each form.

The client is now think about the price quote I gave him and if he goes for it I will pm you cdog.

thanks
-George

By its name, I'm guessing SendForm.aspx is used to send an email to some pre-determined email and most likely, the C# or VB.NET script is outputting each parameter and its value(s) in the request into a string buffer and later sending it to the email address.

You can probably check it's output by running it on the original site - assuming it sends the results to your client. But if it's for inhouse use, probably doesn't matter too much what the format is.

As to why all forms point to the same script file, it's not a bad thing if they're all basically doing the same thing (sending contact info) - but begs the question why they don't just use a single form for that, instead of different forms. Do they have different input fields on them or something? If so, then your code probably just needs to iterate through all available form fields and write "field = value" type lines to the email body.

Just to add on to what Antic stated, Always a good idea to check for and clean any dangerous data that might be sent to the form processing script as well.

Back