Shared Hosting vs. VPS

I am currently a reseller on Windows Shared Hosting. We are considering making the switch to using a VPS server instead of the shared Hosting and need to figure out the pros/cons of each type of hosting.

If we go to VPS:
1. can you help us migrate our clients from a shared hosting environment to our VPS Server?
2. Do you install any of the apps that we currently have available on shared hosting (i.e. persits Upload)? Or, do we need to purchase our own license for that and install it ourselves?
3. What type of backups are done on the VPS servers?
4. Will we be able to keep our name servers or will we have to change all of our domains' name servers?
5. How many domains can we host on each VPS Server?
6. What type of maintenance are we responsible for?
7. Is there any support for transferring mail server to the new VPS servers?

Thank you for your help.

Carol

Hello,

Right now the answers are this:
1. can you help us migrate our clients from a shared hosting environment to our VPS Server?

It is a paid service.

2. Do you install any of the apps that we currently have available on shared hosting
(i.e. persits Upload)? Or, do we need to purchase our own license for that and install it ourselves?

You have to purchase.

3. What type of backups are done on the VPS servers?

it depends on what type you get. Virtuozzo has a panel with backups access, Hyper-V you must purchase space for backups as if it were a dedicated server, since it really is in most ways.

4. Will we be able to keep our name servers or will we have to change all of our domains' name servers?

Change.

5. How many domains can we host on each VPS Server?

From 0 to however many, this question all depends on the usage of it, some sites can't run on a VPS due to the extreme load they cause needing ot be split over multiple servers, some can run multiple hundreds or thousands if all static content parked domains etc.

6. What type of maintenance are we responsible for?

Hyper-V, everything except network or hardware, unless you have a support contract in place.

virtuozzo, app applications, Windows updates CANNOT be run from the VM itself.

7. Is there any support for transferring mail server to the new VPS servers?

As a paid service.

now, all this may be changing as soon as we have the servers fully migrated to the new platform we will have a lot more options going forward, I can't say more yet :D

Back