Frater L.V.X. said:
Well i hope you don't forget your customers when the base grows :)

just signed up, i suppose it will another 24 hours to check for credit fraud and another 48 hours for the domain to propagate.

hope that this time round, i'd have found a permanent home for my site.

No that's not true. We only wait on suspicious orders for the fraud analysis to come in. As for propogation, you can use the instant domain alias to see your website in the meantime

We don't forget our customers. We've been here since December, 2002 and some of our oldest customers are still with us and continue to be pleased with the quality of our services.

zuperman, FreeWilly, cut it out now will you. :)
At least I know now who uses the phrase "paranoid about security" at WHT

Heh... you catched now my attention to that WHT (never visited there actually). Gonna see what is going on there after I'll come back from Prague :) What that host is about at all?

Actually just read the rules there... Is there anything you CAN talk on their forums??? First time and last I ever visited their site. It remindes me the ex-USSR, "don't do this", "don't do that". blah-blah-blah...

The funny thing about WHT is that the mods haven't come up with any good reason we were banned so far. They cited multiple reasons like SPAM, multiple accounts, etc. which we all reject. The funny accusation is that we spammed. We run an expensive ad campaign with their parent company ispcheck.com. Don't see why we would SPAM when we can advertise. Anyway, through my communication with ISPCheck they said JodoHost should be removed from the ban soon

Bliss said:
I think they're just worried about spammers. With free advertising, you never know who'll be there.

no. I write at WHT that JodoHost is paranoid about security (because they have disabled passive FTP, dont allow many components, put restrictions on aspupload, etc) and Yash was referring to that.

Yash said:
The funny thing about WHT is that the mods haven't come up with any good reason we were banned so far. They cited multiple reasons like SPAM, multiple accounts, etc. which we all reject. The funny accusation is that we spammed. We run an expensive ad campaign with their parent company ispcheck.com. Don't see why we would SPAM when we can advertise. Anyway, through my communication with ISPCheck they said JodoHost should be removed from the ban soon

You are not alone. They have banned CIHost as well which has over 100,000 customers and support centers around the world... Don't think they spammed either

FreeWilly said:
no. I write at WHT that JodoHost is paranoid about security (because they have disabled passive FTP, dont allow many components, put restrictions on aspupload, etc) and Yash was referring to that.

Sure, we'll take away all these precautions and see how many sites are defaced when we wake up :)

Yash said:
Sure, we'll take away all these precautions and see how many sites are defaced when we wake up :)

No.. i don't doubt your security policy but not allowing custom components is a little excessive don't you think? And not allowing passive FTP a little too much? ;) Don't know any hosting companies that implement policies with these two restrictions

FreeWilly said:
No.. i don't doubt your security policy but not allowing custom components is a little excessive don't you think? And not allowing passive FTP a little too much? ;) Don't know any hosting companies that implement policies with these two restrictions

To be frank, custom components is one of the most dangerous security threat a hosting company can face. No one knows what hidden commands are in its compiled code. No one knows what kind of exploits can exist for such a component. Our policy on this matter is clear. We won't allow any 3rd party control that isn't popularly used in a shared hosting environment.

Disabiling Passive FTP has indeed caused some problems for a small fraction of our customer base and a few have left.
But the benefits are overwhelming. We had 2 boxes hacked 60 days prior to implementing this policy. We brought in an external security company that determined all intrusions were taking place on higher ports (which is used by passive FTP). After blocking all higher ports and leaving open only essential ports, intrusions or intrusion attempts so far have been zero.

Yash is right about custom components. Also not many hosts allows them, most are not (and for reason). One such component may ruin the IIS with no problems, thus taking down other sites on same computer. Really no problem doing that.

zuperman88 said:
whats the big deal in passive FTP anyway? all i had to do was turn on one option in my FTP client
Well I by myself haven't faced any problems as well, but there is some trouble accessing FTP via router/NAT (still not sure why, I have a server that used as a gateaway to internet, so NAT is enabled there - no problems). Well, I'm not a sysadmin, so can't tell you for sure :)

Well I was lurking.....I have to agree that custom components can be a problem and although I don't like paranoia I totally support jodohost on this issue. As for the other security concerns...I think most web hosts are too lax on this issue and what do you get...bad service...servers going down or being locked up because they don't implement strong enough security. I was concerned about restrictions at the beginning but after having great service and excellent uptime...that is more importan to me. Meanwhile..some friends are experiencing downtime and mail problems while I sit happy at Jodohost :)

Talking about Nat routers....I was looking for the original thread I started when I first signed up so I could respond. I couldn't use dreamweaver with passive disabled but after resetting my router...it works now. WOOHOO! Now I am happy and will most likely stay with Jodohost because I've been very impressed.

Now just waiting for a better webmail client and better stats (Yes I know it's in the works :))

Back