Site Downtime

OJM

Perch
I'm a bit wound up by the response I'm receiving on a recent support call I've logged ( CZP-60693-628 ).

Basically, one of my sites was showing a 404 error for no reason. I haven't changed any files, settings etc for a long time, however something was wrong.

I logged a call, and a response was received just over an hour later (kudos for that!), advising that it was fixed - it was!

When I asked what the issue was, they advised that they just switched PHP off and on again. Great, but this shouldn't be needed!

When I questioned it, I was told "processes sometimes hang" and "it is caused mainly by your PHP processes" so I'm not entitled to any compensation from the 99.9% uptime guarantee!

This isn't the only time my site(s) have gone down for no reason. If anyone from JodoHost looks through my call list, you'll see ticket after ticket.

Please could someone advise, as I'm a bit pee'd off.

OJM,

I have seen this happen a few times, mostly on sites using old PHP mappings, from the pre hsphere 3.0 days. Basically when in the CP it seems to make a PHP change when browsing the web options area for a domain, then when reapplying the PHP settings it corrects it, sounds like what I have seen here. (this issue is in regard to windows)

I don't fully understand to be honest - how can PHP change it's settings, just from me browsing the control panel?

All the site is running is PunBB.

I don't fully understand to be honest - how can PHP change it's settings, just from me browsing the control panel?

All the site is running is PunBB.

PHP doesn't change anything, Hsphere does :D

It is a bit of a holdout/legacy from the 2.x days of hsphere to hae php mapped over to c:\php, which still exists so that everyone doesn't get this error like you got, but sometimes it will have an errored out entry that requires a cycle of the php on/off to resolve it.

So where does the issue lie?

If it's with my PunBB forum, what would I need to do to correct it? I can't have sites randomly going down.

So where does the issue lie?

If it's with my PunBB forum, what would I need to do to correct it? I can't have sites randomly going down.

Now that it is on the latest php version in the hsphere folder, it will be fine.

Thanks Stephen.

Am I entitled to any compensation for downtime?

It was not a sever downtime, so really not by the book. However that is all decided by billing and you need to mail them.

Back