Sites on Win31 and Win33 very slow.

antic

Perch
I have some sites on Win31 and Win33, which are downloading very very slowly (5-10KB/sec). So pages are loading very slowly, files downloaing slowly, etc. Affecting both HTTP and FTP.

Other sites, eg. on Win7, Win34 and Win38 and perfectly fine.

Raised ticket [GOY-35405-288] when a client pointed it out, but it's been going on for a few hours now, so want to raise attention to it. :)

Hope it can be sorted out soon. Must say, it's so rare to have server problems, I can't even remember the last ticket I raised. :)

Interesting, I am not seeing slowness on my side right now but checking with some larger files. Lots of room on this node, and should not be any slowness at all.

Pratik has checked and said it is significantly slower responding than other servers on network access to public interfaces, with this being the case I am going to make a swap of the ports for public data. (I have been working HVM4 issue)

Network port moved now, let me know if any better from your side.
I am getting 214KB/s downloading a test zip file on http://win33.jodoshared.com/test.zip

feel free to use that so you do not use your own bandwidth.

btw 214kb/s is beyond max speed on my 1meg cable here right now, which I have been meaning to upgrade, 1meg is tooo slow for 3 staff working!

Thanks muchly Stephen, that seems to have fixed it! Back to normal now, getting 160-200KB/s which is fine.

Just curious, why are download speeds never much above 200KB/s? Is it just the size of the pipes from the data centre?

Oh I get 4MB/s+ at the office, but I am at the datacenter now, and we don't link directly in, we have a 1meg cable link in. I get way faster than 200KB/s very often on my office cable link.

you may not get over that due to the distance and routes, but we have customers that push the limits and use 10MBs/+ on VPS side that really blows through their allocations.

Ah.. shouldn't have said "pipes", didn't mean capability, just wondered if the low-end accounts like mine have less throughput than premium accounts or something. Yeah it's probably distance/route, me being in Oz, but didn't think it would make such a difference. I recall it improved from <100 once you moved datacenters ages ago. You're a little closer now. :)

Actually 200KB/s is a blessing.. it's not slow enough that people complain, but slow enough to make them think about the sizes of files they put up. :)

Nope we don't throttle by account! We had one person cancel a vps because their 'download was slower than their shared account' and I was quite baffled since it is the same network and we even run our own shared services in most similar way to the Hyper-V offering!

Back