small, efficient calendar/reminder program

antic

Perch
Does anyone know of a program which does similar stuff to the Outlook Calendar, but is small and efficient enough to include in startup and sit in the background without hogging resources?

I just want it to store appointments and recurring things like birthdays, and pop up reminder window.

Outlook is just overkill. Any ideas?

I assume you've tried something like Google's calendar?

To be honest, I gave up on a similar search and bought a Treo (older model, the 650). But, I guess I was really looking for something portable so that my calendar was available those times I'm away from my laptop.

Tim

I assume you've tried something like Google's calendar?

To be honest, I gave up on a similar search and bought a Treo (older model, the 650). But, I guess I was really looking for something portable so that my calendar was available those times I'm away from my laptop.

Tim

I use my Centro and Palm desktop, Palm Desktop :D good choice I think.

hm, now I've got myself thinking...

Started with the concept of using email as a notification method, since you can opt to CC to say work and home addresses, so get reminders anywhere you happen to be. That would imply an online app, like any online calendar, so I thought - nah, I hate putting personal information on an online web site. I don't even use webmail services, I want my stuff to be MY stuff.. etc.

Then I thought hang on, what about a desktop app which just sits in the background and communicates with the online calendar app? The database resides on your PC, where the small "engine" app serves as middle-man between web site requests and the local database.

So basically you have the convenience of using a web site to view and update your calendar.... but your info always resides on your home PC. The local running app would have to open a port and be a server, like any normal P2P app does.

The web site itself is merely the "thin client" for the app running on your PC.

hmmmm.....

Back