SMTP Authentication and Eudora

SubSpace

Bass
SMTP Authentication is not working in Eudora (version 6.1)
I'm getting a "501 malformed auth input" error message.

I've used SMTP authentication before in Eudora and it has always worked flawlessly, yet with qmail it just won't work (before it would crash the qmail process), which leads me to believe it's a qmail problem.

SubSpace said:
SMTP Authentication is not working in Eudora (version 6.1)
I'm getting a "501 malformed auth input" error message.

I've used SMTP authentication before in Eudora and it has always worked flawlessly, yet with qmail it just won't work (before it would crash the qmail process), which leads me to believe it's a qmail problem.

I'm using Eudora 6.0.3 and have never been able to use authentication with JH until yesterday; it works fine for me now.

riley

Is it trying to send it in SSL form? That is an option on my mail client evolution, but I have to turn it off and do standard SMTP Auth.

Nope, plain socket.
I figured out what the problem was though, for some reason I need to set a server for incoming mail as well if I use SMTP AUTH.

I'm using Eudora and Outlook Express

When using incoming email scanning with PC Cillin, it changes POP3 server to localhost and username to username/server. This causes SMTP authentication to fail

How is it possible to use SMTP authentication with the PC Cillin settings?

For Eudora you could try using the new SMTP Relay personality setting in 6.1, it allows you to use shared SMTP settings for all your personalities.

Don't forget to set the incoming mailserver on the SMTP personality and don't change it to localhost, it might work then.

the thing is, I'm not the one who is changing the settings.. it happens automatically when downloading email..

but, when using Eudora, am I open for virus attacks if I disable the email scaninng and don't open attachements?

I've never seen any viruses self-activate under Eudora, besides if you have resident scanning it should catch the virus as it's being written or as you're trying to start it.

If you don't do resident scanning, set up your virus scanner to periodically scan your Eudora attachment directory so you never accidentally leave old virus attachments there.

Back