Spam on JH forums

nzkiwi

Perch
I subscribe to the JodoHost forums RSS feed, and so far this weekend I have received 14 Spam feeds. There's probably more being posted, but have already been deleted by the forum admins when my reader checks for updates.

Has Jodo considered moderating posters with say less than 3 posts so we don't need to get all the crap dished out by the Spamming low-life? My feeling is that it wouldn't inconvenience genuine new posters too much, and it would make life more pleasant for the the rest of us.

I've considered, it, and after this week its a lot more attractive, but haven't had a time to look into the plugins required to handle this.

I changed up the join questions and still spam.
Banning IPs is useless, have seen two from same IP in the last 6 months grrrr!

BTW other forums have it too, and we do act on most spam quickly :) but sometimes one slips by for a couple hours.

I've got a client running a phpBB forum hosted on JH and know the problems they have keeping Spammers at bay. They tried to avoid moderation and ended up banning so many IP blocks and domains that I estimated that over 90% of the world's population were effectively banned, and yet they were still getting more Spammers than genuine members.

They've acknowledged defeat and enlisted the aid of a team of trusted members as moderators to relieve the load of the admins.

I appreciate that JH does removed Spam promptly. I could possibly reduce the amount of Spam in the RSS feeds by increasing the time between updates, but if I do that, there's probably little point in the RSS feed at all.

It's only the fact that I personally don't get Spam from any other source at all that I find the Spam from JH so irritating. I know from what some of my mates get, 14 spam messages over a weekend is like a drop in the ocean, so it wouldn't be an issue :)

:censored: Spammers

While looking for the right plugin module, we have made the suggestions forum moderated, we will approve any legit post there, but if just spam, it will be deleted.

Back