SPF Issues and Doubts

eehost

Perch
Hi,

I'd like to understand if this is the expected behavior on the use of SPF.
I had enabled the SPF settings for a domain as 'fail' and I was seeing on the headers that the IP of the smtp arrived as going through the IP of gw-mail5 instead of mail5 and that caused the IP to be invalid for the SPF record.

I was told by Praveen to setup the ptr:m****h... on the record because the IP for gw-mail5 was the outgoing IP for mail5.

Now, the SPF record works fine, but I see at the control panel an error message stating:

Click to fix SPF TXT DNS records for current SPF and all subdomains and domain aliases SPFs

So my question is, is this normal? I mean, shouldn't the default configuration work fine? Is it right that the mail5 outbound IP to be gw-mail5?

Thank you very much!

Don't do the fix, this is because of the anti spam system that you see it and hsphere thinks it is 'broken'

Is it the expected functionality then?

I restored the MX records so there is no gw-mail5 on my DNS settings.

Wasn't dspam discontinued? What is the anti spam system?

Thank you very much!

Is it the expected functionality then?

Hsphere doesn't allow custom SPF records to be made default, or we would have made ours default already.

I restored the MX records so there is no gw-mail5 on my DNS settings.

It still won't work, as default SPF record doesn't considers the outgoing SMTP IP.

Wasn't dspam discontinued? What is the anti spam system?

It is still in use for a few domains. Spamassassin is what is available for all domains.

Hi Tanmaya,

So to make it clear, the default SPF setting from control panel doesn't work as expected and the SPF records have to always be created through a custom DNS record?

Thank you very much!

So to make it clear, the default SPF setting from control panel doesn't work as expected and the SPF records have to always be created through a custom DNS record?

Not always. It will work until there is a change in outgoing SMTP IP.
However, yes, I'll recommend to use our suggested record over default.
You don't really need to even enable SPF anywhere in Hsphere.
Just create custom DNS TXT record, with value we suggest.

Back