SQL book recommendation?

bro

Perch
I've found myself lately turning down a couple of jobs because they involve some level of MSSQL knowledge that I don't have.

I do okay with Access/ASP programming for my own projects, so that's not really what I'm concerned with. These projects involve installing some pre-written application and maintaining an MSSQL database. I've done this with Forums etc where a built-in command allows you to back up data etc. but I may need to know more than where the 'backup' link is. So I'd need to know how it all works in a shared-server environment, how to use cheap/free software to make backups/restores, and probably how to occasionally make minor modifications to code and databases. I do need to know the differences between coding for Access and coding for SQL, but I'm guessing that's really a different subject, and a different book.

So I don't think I need a book that explains how to make SQL queries etc. Neither do I need a book that tells me how to set up IIS to run MSSQL, as I won't be doing that. I need a book (or two) that specifically tells me how to manage SQL databases in a shared server environment, what all the terms mean, and what I should look out for when a client asks about a piece of software they may want me to install and manage.

Any suggestions?

Bite what bullet? It's free. And the best out there.

'Bite the bullet' meaning it's not something I really want to spend time on but at some point I'm going to have to. I wasn't referring to your particular suggestion directly (and your suggestion is better than all the other ones I got...)
The cost of a book or two isn't really much compared to the time I'll have to put into it, so free's good, but it's not everything.

Back