SQL timeouts?

Phurion

Perch
One of my sites is timing out when trying to connect to the MSSQL server.

Are there known issues with SQL connectivity this morning?

It's been a while since I've had to open a ticket, so which system should I use. I only ask because the last time I did, Stephen asked me to enter it into a new system ya'll were trying out.

URL?

#IJO-97242-693

Can someone alert Stephen to the problem please. Your request to "provide the URL to the site with the problem" was ridiculous considering I listed it in the ticket, simply minus the "http://"

Is this what support has come to around here?

All of my domains connected to that SQL server are experiencing the same timeout issues.

Phurion, I assure you the problem is being worked on and you'll receive an adequate response from Support. When requesting a URL, we usually are looking for a link to a specific page/script where we can test/reproduce the issue.

A domain name many times isn't sufficient.

From the ticket:

Mon Jul 28 2008 11:28AM by [email protected]
Hello,

Today while checking server in Morning i found server was abusing by 3 users. I had worked on them and fixed it. Even i did a quick maintenance on server. Server is up and working fine now. Please check your domains now.

Feel free to contact us for further assistance.

With Regards,
Manish Srivastava

Well, it's happening again. Both domains that connect to the MSSQL server are either VERY slow to load, or time out completely.

Please get this resolved.

From the ticket:

Well, it's happening again. Both domains that connect to the MSSQL server are either VERY slow to load, or time out completely.

Please get this resolved.

no there's nothing going on like this at all, in any way shape or form. Server is running well under 5% average.

Perhaps the SQL Queries and possibly the tables themselves need to be optimized? The more data you build up overtime the slower it can go if it's not properly setup with indexes.

no there's nothing going on like this at all, in any way shape or form. Server is running well under 5% average.

Well I guess there was.

From the latest ticket response:

Kindly note that we have disabled that database from our server permanently which was abusing the server.
Now you may not face this problem again.

Thanks,
Mohit

Pretty disappointed with your response Stephen.

/shrug

Perhaps the SQL Queries and possibly the tables themselves need to be optimized? The more data you build up overtime the slower it can go if it's not properly setup with indexes.

Wasn't related to MY database at all. Someone else was abusing the server, as clearly indicated in both ticket responses.

Well I guess there was.

From the latest ticket response:

Pretty disappointed with your response Stephen.

/shrug

Wasn't related to MY database at all. Someone else was abusing the server, as clearly indicated in both ticket responses.

If you will notice the times....The DB was re-enabled by one staff after it was supposedly fixed, and I did not know of it as I was taking a 2 hour nap during this time.

I had no idea it was enabled again at that time, when I checked it it was indeed perfectly fine without any issue, as another tech had already seen that it was still not resolved and offlined the database again.

If you will notice the times....The DB was re-enabled by one staff after it was supposedly fixed, and I did not know of it as I was taking a 2 hour nap during this time.

I want YOUR job! =)

All's been fine since that db/user was taken offline permanently. Hate to see anyone get banned/TOS'd out, but dang...don't abuse the systems and everyone will be happy.

All is well with the world at the moment, so go back to sleep. :tongue:

I want YOUR job! =)

All's been fine since that db/user was taken offline permanently. Hate to see anyone get banned/TOS'd out, but dang...don't abuse the systems and everyone will be happy.

All is well with the world at the moment, so go back to sleep. :tongue:

It's been a pain recently, we've had some staff out due to sickness :(

So I've been working a lot to help them out.

Yes we hate having to offline DBs too but one DB taking others offline by their actions can't be tolerated.

Well, seems this is an issue again.

Pages NOT connected to the MSSQL database load fine (even PHP pages that get their data from MySQL load quickly). Both of my main domains that connect to MSSQL either won't load (just set there in a "busy" state), or load so slowly it's not worth the wait.

Is this due to the SQL injection attacks going on lately? I've reviewed my code for the suggested safety precautions in other posts and I'm ok, so I don't believe *I'M* being hit. My databases appear to be fine, other than just overall slowness of the SQL server.

Can someone please check into this again?

yes it is lartially due to SQL attacks, making a lot more SQL attempts, then once a vulenrable one is found it gets a 'scheduled' hammering of relentless injections and if the code it not fixed soon the defacements and injections are almost impossible to stop (until the code is fixed) That being said MSSQL1 is looking fine on all usages.

grr it is not happening all the time like before with abuses but this same user responsible a month back has a new DB and still a problem.
(in a on/off basis for 30-1 min bd, then fine, etc)

A client of mine is complaining that phpmyadmin access is slow and unreliable:

I have been trying to get onto PHPMyAdmin for the better part of the day today with no luck. This has happened in the past often. In the past though, after anywhere from a few minutes to an hour it the issue resolves itself. I hope I am trying to access it correctly. In general though, is there anything we can do to keep this from happening in the future?

Now, as far as I can tell, the server is fine and the site in question is running okay; moreover, I can get to the db with a mysql client just fine. I can't recreate the problem -- every time I follow the path the client takes to get in, I get thru immediately. I don't want to call it user error until I've ruled out everything else, but...

Could it be the way hsphere handles phpmyadmin access that's causing the problem?

A client of mine is complaining that phpmyadmin access is slow and unreliable:

Now, as far as I can tell, the server is fine and the site in question is running okay; moreover, I can get to the db with a mysql client just fine. I can't recreate the problem -- every time I follow the path the client takes to get in, I get thru immediately. I don't want to call it user error until I've ruled out everything else, but...

Could it be the way hsphere handles phpmyadmin access that's causing the problem?

there could be some issue in this, I'd report it via ticket and tell them it seems sporadically to be an issue for your client but you haven't been able to replicate.

that way at least we have it on file as a possible issue.

Back