Squirrelmail - timeout issues

Discussion in 'Email Support' started by EminenceAdam, Jan 3, 2005.

1. EminenceAdam

EminenceAdam Guppy

Hello,

Is it possible to adjust the length of time before squirrelmail automatically logs you out of the system. It appears to be around 5 minutes now.

Thanks.
  2. WebFire

WebFire Perch

Does anyone know what the timeout value is. I have a client that would like to know since he writes some pretty long emails.

Thanks!
  3. BluJag

BluJag Perch

Can't help with timeout. Suggest to your client he writes his email in notepad/wordpad/word or whatever, then after spell checking just copy and paste into the email prog. This has the benefit that if the webmail goes awry, he's still got a good copy to try again with - saves much anguish after writing a long email. (Having been there and got the t-shirt)
  4. WebFire

WebFire Perch

Yes, I have recommended he do that. But it would still be nice to know what the limit is. Surely someone knows. I'll poke around doing a search a little more and see what I come up with.
  5. kujo2123

kujo2123 Perch

I realize this is a very old thread, but I have a customer asking about this very same topic. I haven't seen any answers in the forums, nor can I see anything in the webmail interface to adjust timeouts.

Can anyone shed any light on if this can be adjusted at all?
  6. Stephen

Stephen US Operations Staff Member

By any chance is using a proxy or something that changes the IP that would fool with sessions?
  7. kujo2123

kujo2123 Perch

I don't think so. I think it's just a normal residential internet connection..

Any other ideas?
  8. Gurmeet

Gurmeet Guest

The default setting is 15 minutes, but your administrator may have a different setting.

To solve this problem, you may want to do one of the following:

* start using the "Save Draft" feature when composing long messages or leaving your computer for any length of time,
    * increase (or disable) the idle time limit for Timeout User by going to Options/Display Preferences/Automatic Logout Timer,
    * if the above option is not present, ask your mail administrator to increase the default idle time limit for Timeout User, or
    * ask your system administrator to install the Quick Save plugin, which provides auto-save functionality as you write your email.
  9. kujo2123

kujo2123 Perch

Sorry, I just realized our default webmail for this domain is DWMail, not squirrelmail.. Any ideas how to do those same settings for timeouts in DWMail?
  10. Gurmeet

Gurmeet Guest

sorry for late reply.

In DWMail i am not able to find any option to increase logout time on the event of idle state; but you can use auto Draft feature to save you composed email.

To enable this feature, you can go to preferences > Composing New Email> select ..Auto Save to Drafts "Yes" and save.