Ssl 101

Dardalius

Perch
Hi All

I'm about to install Oscommerce and (terror) the HSBC Payment module on a customers site. I need to install an SLL. So I go to my control panel and find;

1) SSL support disabled
what does this mean? 8o

2) One step buy and install SLL certificate
This new to me, Where is this from, Is it a full certificate and how much is it? ;)

3) Import SSL certificate
Is this also for installing new certificates ? ?(

4) Generate self signed SSL certificate
Quick explanation about this? :)

I've read the documentation and just would like some guidence, the main thing being if I'm buying a new cert which option do I follow?

Thanks in advance
David

BTW: Great to see the easyapps installed :D

Ok a few things, the one step SSL, that is Commodo, and it is BRAND new, not even sure it is working to be honest
(we need to check for sure)

1) SSL support disabled
what does this mean?

> It means itis off now, you should be able to enable it, and generate a CSR, to buy a certificate from anywhere.

2) One step buy and install SLL certificate
This new to me, Where is this from, Is it a full certificate and how much is it?
> Described above.

3) Import SSL certificate
Is this also for installing new certificates ?

This is if you have the CSR already made, and want to install a third party SSL cert.

4) Generate self signed SSL certificate
Quick explanation about this?
This is great for testing, and free. It will give a warning when visiting the site, but you can test SSL free, and not have to spend the money if the venture doesn't go through.

Hi Stephen

Thanks, this is great info, Commodo is interesting.

1) SSL support disabled
what does this mean?

> It means itis off now, you should be able to enable it, and generate a CSR, to buy a certificate from anywhere.

I can't see where I do this... I seem to have all ssl options ticked in the plan, any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

Cheers
David :D

Back