SSL Certificate Installation

avtv1

Guppy
I recently used your admin panel to request a temporary ssl certificate and CSR, then went though geotrust (via rackshack) to have it signed. I followed all the instructions and everything seemed fine, then I updated my SSL, but when I try a secure connection to my site it says:
This Certificate Cannot be Verified Up To a Trusted Certification Authority. It also says that the name on the certificate doesn't match the site, but they're the same i.e. blahblah.com.

Should I just wait a bit for it to update? My only concern when I signed up was after generating the CSR and Temporary Certificate and hitting submit, the screen didn't change. Everything else seemed to work as it should have.

When you got your temporary certificate, you would have also got your CSR and Private key. When installing a real certificate, make sure you enter the same CSR, Private key and of course the certificate GeoTrust generated for you.

Now the only error is that the name on the certificate is invalid or doesn't match the name of the site.

Yash said:
When you got your temporary certificate, you would have also got your CSR and Private key. When installing a real certificate, make sure you enter the same CSR, Private key and of course the certificate GeoTrust generated for you.

I have those, but can't tell where to put them. When I go in to edit it, I can only click one submit button for one thing at at time.

avtv1 said:
Now the only error is that the name on the certificate is invalid or doesn't match the name of the site.

But it works when I leave off the www from the address. Seems like it should work both ways.

Hmm.

avtv1 said:
But it works when I leave off the www from the address. Seems like it should work both ways.

Hmm.

I've always been under the impression that the certificate had to match exactly the domain you planned on using. ie: blah.com is not the same as www.blah.com. When I've worked with certificates before, the company wanted a separate domain just for SSL traffic so we submitted secure.blah.com for the certificate.

Well, I started wondering about this so I just checked GeoTrust's instructions for generating a CSR.

------------------------------------
Common Name

The fully qualified domain name for your web server. This must be an exact match.
example: If you intend to secure the URL https://www.geotrust.com, then your CSR's common name must be www.geotrust.com.
------------------------------------

So, I think with your present certificate, you'll need to leave the www off the url.

Back