Strange problems

I am getting absolute hang on ftp transfer on certain files. I tried many times. It is almost as if there is some sort of disk failure on the server end where it is refusing to go further. For example, there are a number of gif files. If I start transfer from the beginning, it hangs after reaching a certain file. If I start from that file directly, it hangs again.

The same problem is happening with some php scripts. They simply hang at mid point. I am on Windows server.

I have a feeling that there is some problem in the system. Do you regularly run disk checks on all the disks? What could cause such a problem.

No, all our servers have are pulled down for about 30 to 45 minutes each month for a full maintenance. Additionally, we also monitor RAM as well as processor usage and perform quick reboots whenever necessary. The servers are in no way overloaded.

I'm looking into your problem. This may be due to network congestion. We received this from our datacenter today regarding slow email:

This is because of new worm, that is at large. It is generating high traffic from our DC as well as other DCs, as a great number of servers are infected. That is why it takes that much time to authenticate users. Hopefully this should clear up in a week

We just performed some ftp tests on your account. We created a folder called "jodotest" in your root where we upload 11 jpeg files of different size. We then deleted the folder. Everything was responding well.

As I told you in your ticket, the PHP script you were talking about loaded perfectly for us here and in under 2 seconds. There definately seems to be some problem from your end.

Yash said:
There definately seems to be some problem from your end.

Yash,

Thanks. This hint helped me a lot. I am using DishnetDSL. On your hint, I went in through VSNL and it worked. It was not working with DishnetDSL. Recently, they hiked up the speed to 512K. May be that has something to do with it. The odd thing is that if I do a tracert to the site, the first entry itself times out. Does that mean that it is not going out of my PC itself?

Anyway, today when I tried it, it went through. Strange. I am beginning to think that it has something to do with this high-speed DSL. So, for a few days, I am going to lower the speed and see.

Anyway, thanks for all your help, and I'm sorry for false alarms.

Sanjay

Re: Re: Strange problems

sanjaysk said:
Strange. I am beginning to think that it has something to do with this high-speed DSL. So, for a few days, I am going to lower the speed and see.
I have 1.5Mbits DSL connection at home and it works perfectly, so maybe it is a problem of your ISP, they may messed somethig when upgraded you to a higher speed

Back