Streaming Video

I have a prospect that requires streaming video--a few relatively short WMVs and ASXs of underwater hockey. It appears that Jodo doesn't offer a streaming multimedia server, however, a few years back (according to the archives), someone indicated that you can stream via HTTP even without a streaming server.

So...my questions are:

1. Can you stream (or simulate streaming) on Jodo through a Win server account?

2. If so, how (in relatively general terms)? I know absolutely zero about streaming multimedia.

Thanks

Charles

You can do simulated streaming by just placing a wmv file on your site. At least it works that way when viewed with recent versions of Windows Media Player.

I just did this with a video of one of my kid's school activities. Clicking the link to the wmv launches WMP which starts playing the video once enough frames are downloaded.

I'm not sure about ASX files.

Tim

Thanks, Tim...maybe later today, I'll dig out some WMVs and give it a try. Maybe I even have an ASX lying around I can try as well.

Charles

What! You've never heard of underwater hockey!!?? :D

Think swimming pool, two teams, two nets--one at either side of the pool (length, not width), puck, hand paddles. Puck gets advanced along the BOTTOM of the pool. Points are scored just like regular hockey--puck into the net. And yes, everyone holds their breath while they're playing. Obviously you have to come up for air every now and then, so the trick is to hand off the puck to someone--preferably on your own team--who's not out of air and who doesn't have to surface when you do.

Takes a lot of fitness, a lot of stamina, and a LOT of holding your breath.

Back