SubDomain or Third Level Domain?

pehu

Perch
Hi!

Whats the difference between a "Subdomain" and a "Third Level Domain" ?
In what situations do you use a Subdomain and when a Third Level Domain?

pehu said:
Hi!

Whats the difference between a "Subdomain" and a "Third Level Domain" ?
In what situations do you use a Subdomain and when a Third Level Domain?

I know this is an old post, but I would also like a little clarification... at least the way HSPHERE sees it. Many sites give varying meanings and some mix the to.

Stephen or Yash can you provide some clarity on the difference and how each one is used in HSPHERE?

Thank you.

Subdomain is say a customer owns iamyourclient.com, fromtheir cp they make webapps.iamyourclient.com, that is a subdomain.

A third level domain is where they are iamyourclient.yourservicedomain.com, technically they are both subdomains, and both third level domains :)

Stephen said:
Subdomain is say a customer owns iamyourclient.com, fromtheir cp they make webapps.iamyourclient.com, that is a subdomain.

A third level domain is where they are iamyourclient.yourservicedomain.com, technically they are both subdomains, and both third level domains :)

So if they are basically the same in hsphere... it is just a matter of how we see it? Oh wait... thirdlevel is like saying I am creating an error for outside customers where subdomain is generally considered and use for your own internal company?

Does that make sense?

Yep, third level= under yours, subdomain=under theirs. At least in hsphere terms.

Ok, the simple way:
Third Level = for customers that don't (yet) have a domain, the can use yours.
Subdomain = A sub-domain under their domain.

Back