Suggestion: Email features

brawney

Perch
I know Jodo Host is working on upgrading to Horde or some other web mail package so I thought I'd take this time to voice a request.

I would like to have the following features for email:

1) IMAP support - POP3 is fine but IMAP is becoming more popular all the time. We're seeing more hosts providing IMAP support and this would be a great feature for Jodo Host to offer.

2) Multiple Identities - the ability to configure your account with multiple names/addresses and choose from that list when you send an email message.

3) Retrieve External Mail - the ability to retrieve mail from an external mailbox via POP3. This would go hand-in-hand with #2 above.

4) Mail Notification - the ability to have the mail system send an email notification to some external address if there are unread messages in your main mailbox. It could send the messages every hour, twice a day, etc.

This list is in order of my personal preference. This is just me and I'm sure others have other preferences and needs. I am trying to consolidate the location of many email accounts and it would be great to be able to manage all my email accounts from one web mail site. I also manage my emails from different locations (home, work, laptop, etc) and IMAP is ideal for that type of use.

Thanks for the chance to voice my request.

I have a little question. What IMAP is and what its benefits? I actually also have a laptop, computer at home, at work and Pocket PC, but have no problems at all retrieving e-mail using POP3 (using Outlook on all of them). So why IMAP is better?

StPatrick said:
I have a little question. What IMAP is and what its benefits? I actually also have a laptop, computer at home, at work and Pocket PC, but have no problems at all retrieving e-mail using POP3 (using Outlook on all of them). So why IMAP is better?
POP3 works just fine but it is a different way than IMAP. IMAP allows you to sync your mail messages and folders from the server onto your computer. So any message you see in your folders is still on the server. You can delete any single message and leave any message there that you want. So if I am at home and read my work email account I can delete what I want and save what I want. When I return to work tomorrow the folders look exactly the same as they did at home. What I deleted is gone and what I didn't delete is still there and marked as read. With POP3 you either have to delete all mail as it's downloaded or leave all mail on the server. It is more difficult to maintain what you want to keep and not keep when you have more than one computer and you're using POP3.

Aaa... I see. Now it is clear. So it is probably the way Exchange server works. Just as you explained. Never thought about that :)
--EDITED--
By Exchange Server I mean not the program itself, but the whole thingy - you know, I'm coming to work, open Outlook, see my folders, which are on the server... and so on

StPatrick said:
Aaa... I see. Now it is clear. So it is probably the way Exchange server works. Just as you explained. Never thought about that :)
--EDITED--
By Exchange Server I mean not the program itself, but the whole thingy - you know, I'm coming to work, open Outlook, see my folders, which are on the server... and so on
Thats how it works. We use Exchange at work. When I'm at home I can see all my Exchange folders in Outlook Express using IMAP. If I move something from the Inbox to another box, that's where it is when I go back to work in the morning and look at it using Outlook. It is very nice and I am seeing more and more services/hosts offering this feature.

Bliss said:
Have you ever used IncrediMail? I use it and it gives you all the features you want. Of course, it's a desktop appl., but... Anyway, visit www.incredimail.com if you're interested, it's free.
This looks like a cool email program. But I can do everything I want with Outlook Express, except the IMAP part on some of my email boxes because those hosts don't support IMAP. I'm looking for a web interface. Thanks for the link though. This looks like a cool email package.

Back