Testing PayPal IPN in the "sandbox"

antic

Perch
i all, this is directed to anyone with PayPal IPN experience.

I'm debugging some IPN code, and want to test the IPN mechanism with the PayPal Sandbox. I've done everything they've instructed, but when I make a test purchase, the IPN page is not triggered.

I've checked the server logs, and paypal has not requested anything from the server, yet I've set up IPN in the test account and tested the URL myself.

Has anyone else got IPN testing to work in the sandbox? Nothing I do can get PayPal to request the IPN page after a test transaction.

Any help much appreciated.

Hi Antic - I did some of this a while ago.
1. You must be logged in to your PayPal Sandbox Account when testing.
2. Make sure all the url's in your code refer to sandbox.paypal.com etc
If you aren't logged in, then nothing happend as I recall.

Hope this helps?

Thanks BJ, yep all that is being done, however the actual IPN event - where paypal hits my IPN URL with the transaction info - isn't happening. Works in production but not in the sandbox for some reason.

Hmmm...just to make sure, quadruple check your code to make sure the sandbox callback has the correct url, and your receiving code expects the callback from the sandbox.

I had two setups, one for testing which used only sandbox urls, and then the production code (nearly identical to the test code of course).

Funny, I just started a thread in the PayPal dev forums to say it wasn't working, and I just noticed a bunch of IPN hits in the server log! Coincidence? :)

So looks like they might have had some downtime.. even on my production site, IPN doesn't happen sometimes... I'm starting to get the impression PayPal isn't 100% reliable... what's been your impression?

Sorry Antic - insufficient data to tell how reliable PayPal is - maybe the PayPal developer forums will have more info.

Back