The new Indian film, "Water"

antic

Perch
So what's all the hoo-haa about this film called "Water"? Apparently banned in India, and the filmmaker receiving death threats... reminds me of that Salman Rushdie / Satanic Verses stuff several years ago. Very scary.

http://www.planetbollywood.com/Film/Water/

Sounds like a wonderful and touching film, very relevant in a time when we all, men and women, need the freedom and encouragement to live a full life.

Tolerance to criticism of religion.. This is something that is going to take time to develop in India given its history...

We are on that road.. But more time is needed.
I'd personally love to see that film.

The indian film industry is quite vocal and is critical of many aspects of Indian society.. But religion is something it rarely touches

ah.. perhaps that's why some Bollywood movies I've seen are very big on the message for women's freedoms, yet stay completely away from the religious aspect. I gather the two are somewhat tied together.

Personally I find Hinduism intriguing. Perhaps, like most religions, it's the man-made doctrine and politics which are the most contentious aspects.

I believe Hinduism is the only religion which speaks of a universe vast and billions of years old, ever being born and reborn again. Other religions imagine the universe quite a bit smaller. :)

I don't really like Indian movies... In my opinion they are too sentimental.

I have recently watched a Korean movie called "Duellers" - that's what I really like. Very special movie. Highly recommended.

Back