Ticket LQX-35422-870

Inka

Perch
Almost 24 hours and ticket #LQX-35422-870 has not been answered. I also wrote to your "help line" email 12 hours ago and it met the same fate: no answer.

Please do someting about this! X(

This is a decision Stephen has to make, and he'll get to it by tomorrow. Prakash has already informed you about the same.

Its something we generally do not support. It is a policy decision basically... Sorry for the delay

Yash said:
This is a decision Stephen has to make, and he'll get to it by tomorrow. Prakash has already informed you about the same.

I do not know what you mean. Perhaps you can first read the ticket and see that the only thing Prakash did was to tell me that Stephen was to look at it. I had no idea about his leaving for 24 hours.

Yash said:
Its something we generally do not support. It is a policy decision basically...

You have done this before:

http://support.jodohost.com/showthread.php?t=1452&page=3&highlight=emails+SQL+Server

So I do not see what is the problem now. Please review the forum, my ticket and give me a positive answer.

Thanks

Inka, that thread is 2 years old.
Give us till tomorrow, if we can install that on the MSSQL server and get it to work for your customer, we will do it.

Please understand that certain issues can't be resolve instantly. Installing this involves a security decision. Also, it involves a stability decision because certain types of sql jobs can have a negative impact on server performance

Yash, thanks for your answer. It was far better than the seemingly careless answer given by Prakash in his ticket.

Yash said:
Inka, that thread is 2 years old.

Once it was installed I did not see any reason why it was not installed now. I only wanted to be sure it was.

Yash said:
Give us till tomorrow, if we can install that on the MSSQL server and get it to work for your customer, we will do it.

Good.

Yash said:
Please understand that certain issues can't be resolve instantly. Installing this involves a security decision. Also, it involves a stability decision because certain types of sql jobs can have a negative impact on server performance

I understand that perfectly, that's why I am requesting something you have installed before and that seems to have worked.

Prakash said:
We are not allowing emails from a SP in SQL Server 2000. He also can not create SQL Server jobs.

According to your policy, SQL jobs are allowed now:

http://support.jodohost.com/showthread.php?t=162

Obviously, exceptions may apply depending on what the customer wants to run, but in general this is possible.

How is it that Prakash is giving misleading information?

I need to give an answer to my customer. What do you think about this:

- Sending emails using SQL SPs is allowed only through a custom component installed in our servers: xp_smtp_sendmail
- Custom jobs are allowed only if they pass certain criteria.

Please let me know

What Prakash said about not allowing emailing via SP is our current policy. And we really do not schedule server jobs either, this is done on a case by case basis.

Prakash wasn't misleading. He told you are current policy and also told you he's forwarding this to Stephen for consideration.

Anyway I apologise for the confusion. You'll get your solution tomorrow

Yash said:
And we really do not schedule server jobs either, this is done on a case by case basis.

That is what I said and it is different from saying "we do not allow any job. period"

Yash said:
Prakash wasn't misleading. He told you are current policy and also told you he's forwarding this to Stephen for consideration.

He was misleading, I am sorry you prefer to believe otherwise.
Also, you are mixing two different answers that he gave me. Please review the ticket.

Yash said:
Anyway I apologise for the confusion. You'll get your solution tomorrow

Thank you.

We do not allow email on SQL server due to spammers, I will not change my stance on this because of serious past issues.

Inka,
I posted that I was out, for decisions such as this, they come to me, and I have not had internet access that is reliable. I am still on the road now, connecting via my phone which doesnt load images, and strips javascript and CSS to be usable. SQL jobs, we won't allow 99% of the time, I have to evaluate it very closely to allow.

Hi Stephen,

Thanks for your comments

Stephen said:
Inka,
I posted that I was out, for decisions such as this, they come to me, and I have not had internet access that is reliable. I am still on the road now, connecting via my phone which doesnt load images, and strips javascript and CSS to be usable.

Sorry, I did not know and the helper did not elaborate too much.

Stephen said:
SQL jobs, we won't allow 99% of the time, I have to evaluate it very closely to allow.

Sure, no problem, you may disallow sql jobs 99.999% of the time if that makes you feel more comfortable but the issue here is whether the job compromises the server regarding its security, stability, performance (SSP) or all three.

If the job intended by my customer violates any of the SSP criteria, I myself will be opposed to such a job so that I do not cause any problem for my other customers. I think this is so obvious that it does not deserve further discussions

Stephen said:
We do not allow email on SQL server due to spammers

I am not sure what you mean.

xp_smtp_sendmail (which has been installed previously by you) does not have an incorporated SMTP server but it uses whatever SMTP server you tell it to use.

That means that if your smtp server does not allow spam-typical actions (like, say, sending 1000 emails per hour/day, etc.) xp_smtp_sendmail cannot possibly be used to do such thing.

As far as I know you have imposed a limit in the number of emails that can be sent unless one sends a special request to you providing a justification. In this case, sending emails from an ASP / ASP.NET page or from the SQL server does not make any difference: a malicious programmer cannot hide inside your sql server to send spam if your SMTP server is properly configured. Period.

This is true even for other solutions for sending emails from the sql server different from the xp I am suggesting. My only reason for suggesting it, it's that you have previously installed it, but if you prefer that we use another component available in the server where SQL server is running, that is ok too.

I know you have your reasons for being cautious, but black & white restrictions like the one you mentioned, are hardly ever good.

Let's do this. I will ask the customer to provide a detailed explanation of his exact idea for using the SQL SP & job and I will get back to you. After that, you can review and evaluate his idea and provide the final authorization in case the SSP criteria (mentioned above) are not compromised.

Thanks in advance for your understanding and flexibility.

Back