Ticket support

eko

Perch
I noticed (did search the forums on the word ticket) that quite a number of posts including my own refer to unanswered tickets or tickets that have not been followed up after initial response reply sequence.

It would be great if there were some clear guideliness posted:
1) What would be a reasonable time-frame in which one can expect an answer or update to a posted ticket?
2) Once this timeframe is passed what steps should the user take or how should this be comunicated?
3) It maybe me but I think that Europe has a service problem as it sometimes seems that jodohost is not as quick in its responses during parts of the GMT day.

This post was prompted while waiting for tickets 41268 (which just refers to 41215 for an update).

eko said:
1) What would be a reasonable time-frame in which one can expect an answer or update to a posted ticket?
2) Once this timeframe is passed what steps should the user take or how should this be comunicated?
3) It maybe me but I think that Europe has a service problem as it sometimes seems that jodohost is not as quick in its responses during parts of the GMT day.
DISCALIMER: I don't work for JH

1) JH advertizes an average of 60 minutes to respond to tickets. I would give them the 60 minutes before pursuing alternative methods.

2) Once 60 minutes has past, there is Live Chat from the home page, if someone is there to answer, and then there's the forum where you can ask about a certain ticket, posting the ticket number, if none of these help, there is a phoen number (but who can afford the call) and a support e-mail address outside of the JH domain (I don't recall the address right now).

3) JH advertizes 24/7 service. I have seen it lacks sometimes in that there are times when it seems no one is home. Either they are in a meeting or busy with something else. There is no pattern that I can see. You probably have no more problems than us in North America.

It's now over five hours ago since I posted my original ticket followed two hours later with a new one referring to the first, and indeed it looks like "no-one" is at home (ie jodohost, forums are not visited by support nor do tickets seem resplied to) while at other times support levels are incredible....

By the way I've never managed to use the chat function, the screen just remains blank. I don't really like posting "tickets" here as one would expect them to be dealt with consistently. It's the inconsistence that sometimes gives things an amateuristic feel.

Just noticed Yash appearing on the forums.

1) We advertise a 60 minute response time average issues. I believe only a small number of your tickets take longer than 1 or 2 hours to be answered

2) If your issue takes longer than 3 hours, that means its a more complicated issue being worked on and you'll be answered.

3) We are always available 24x7x365. Our team works in 3 shifts. On the night shift we normally have 3 to 4 people online answering tickets and chat.

We will be replacing our chat system with a java-based version soon. Infact we just hired an in-house Java programmer to help us accelerate some projects. Tje current chat system is problematic, I understand

Yash, I was just commenting that it would be useful if regularly progress updates were given rather than having the airline attitude of letting people wait without knowing what's going on.

The instructions provided in ticket 41215 are straighforward, what is causing the delay?

Sequence of events:

1) The ticket 41215 was posted on 22 November 2004 at 2:03:26pm
It provided install instructions for typo3

2) The ticket was replied to after another ticket and post on jodohost forums on 22 November at 9:42:04pm (7.5hrs later) with the message:
"We have got the request to install, we will update you soon after installing it.

Regards
Maheep"

3) I've just posted a reminder ticket 23 November 2004 6:28:11AM.

This explains why I posted a message on the jodohost forums yesterday as it's impossible to know if something is happening or not.

eko

The reason your ticket is taking this long is because we always proceed with great caution on installations. Installing software/components, especially 3rd party can cause unexpected problems.

It is not as simple as you requesting it to be installed and support does it. They are not authorised to do any installs till it is considered by me or another senior windows administrator

I am looking into this now and we'll update you shortly

I hope you understand we are doing this to prevent you and all customers on your server from unnecessary downtime

Hi Yash,

This installation only deals with certain permission and is not related to server essential hardware, software or components. Typo3 is a very popular open source CMS.

It doesn't require server changes, but it does require SSH access to install.

Linux

The install instructions provided by typo3 are:

* UNIX ARCHIVES OF TYPO3 *

INTRODUCTION
============

As you have downloaded this package you seem to know already about TYPO3.
If you don't, visit http://typo3.org/ where you can find many useful
information.

This short guide lists the important steps to install this package.

IMPORTANT NOTE
==============

Please be aware of the fact that the file transfer protocol (FTP) does not
support Symlinks. You cannot unpack these archives locally and copy them
to your server using FTP, even if the target server actually is a Unix
server.

So if you don't have shell access, try to use a terminal emulator instead.
(PHPshell to give you an example - Google knows all of them!)

If this doesn't work you'll have to stick back to the ZIP version :-(

STEP BY STEP
============

1 Get TYPO3. You need at least two files:

1) Source: Download typo3_src-3.7.0-x.tar.gz
2) Site packages: Download one of them:
- dummy
- quickstart
- testsite

2 Copy them to your webserver (into the same directory - unless you know
what you're doing...)

3 Unpack the archives:
$ tar xzf <typo3_src-x.x.x.tar.gz>
$ tar xzf <sitePackage-x.x.x.tar.gz>

4 Set permissions (as root): There are at least two options.
These steps will make typo3conf/ typo3temp/ etc. writable for the
webserver.

4.a (recommended)
Run these commands as root:
# chgrp -R <wwwserver> typo3_src-3.7.0/ <sitedir>/
# chmod -R g+w,o-rwx typo3_src-3.7.0/ <sitedir>/

...where <wwwserver> is the name of the group your webserver
is running as and <sitedir> is the name of the directory
inside of this archive

4.b (insecure but easy to apply)
I repeat: This is insecure!
Do not use this method if you are working on a shared server!

Simply run this command:
$ chmod -R a+w typo3_src-3.7.0/ <sitedir>/

5 If you like, you can now rename the site directory (e.g. dummy-3.7.0) to
something that sounds a bit better (e.g. "site" or "html")

6 Check the symlink "typo3_src" in this directory which should point to
the source directory

7 In your browser, visit
http://[your.site.name]/<this_site_name>/

8 Follow the instructions in the 1-2-3 install tool

9 From this point, you can access the backend through
http://[your.site.name]/<this_site_name>/typo3/
with the username "admin" and password "password".

That's it :)

WHAT SHOULD YOU DO IF YOU HAVE A PROBLEM?
=========================================

TYPO3 is a powerful and complex professional application. When you start
out there will be many things you don?t understand, or that don't seem to
make sense. There is a widely used mailing list (more information on
typo3.com & typo3.org) where many experienced users and developers
lurk... they are always willing to help, provided you followed these steps
BEFORE you ask your question:

1 - Read all available documentation carefully

2 - Read all available documentation again

3 - Search the mailing list archive carefully

4 - If you still can't figure it out - ask the list...:
- Newsgroup: news://news.netfielders.de/
- Mailing lists: http://lists.netfielders.de/

When posting to one of the lists, see the following guidelines...
- Be polite
Always include the version of used TYPO3 and server environment
(phpinfo())... note that this is available within the TYPO3
Install Tool
- Be as specific and clear as possible - questions like "my TYPO3
installation does not work - what can I do???" will be ignored.
Although English may not be your first language, if those reading
your posting can't understand it, you won't get the help you need
- If you are really having a tough time getting something working,
stay cool and don't criticise or flame. Problems are normally
caused by lack of research into the documentation, or
misunderstanding, not because of bugs. Be logical about your
troubleshooting, and you'll get there

5 - If you have identified a genuine new bug, report it at
http://bugs.typo3.org/ ...do not post to the list about it

Please be aware that if you ask questions that are answered in the
available documentation, you may not get a reply, or any help from the
developers or any experienced users!

We are aware that there is still some work to be done on the
documentation, and the platform for user support... please forgive us for
not having all these gaps filled. If you feel that some information is
missing, hard to find or just plain wrong, or you have a suggestion on
improving TYPO3 or the "support services", please let us know so that we
can do what is necessary. You could also volunteer to help with the work!

(c) Nigel Jackson, Ingmar Schlecht
Unix related additions made by Michael Stucki

-- Michael Stucki <[email protected]> Sat, 06 Nov 2004 13:27:53 +0100

I recall playing around with Typo3 and I didn't like it. I think I installed in on a Windows server. I'm not sure if it was with JodoHost or my previous host. I don't recall it being difficult to install, just difficult to use. I am sure that I didn't need any intervention from support to install it.

I played around with typo3 (on own windows machine with apache server) and a whole range of others including mambo 4.5.1a on remote servers. I prefer zope/plone but jodohost doesn't have the zope framework installed (requires python and c-compiler). Typo3 seems to be the more advanced of the of the shelve cms systems. I particularly need one that I can enhance to be at least bobby AA accesible. Many of the CMS systems have problems with truely accessible sites.

As a matter of fact if you know a easier CMS that will allow me to produce accessible output then please recommend.

For the Linux version of typo3 it's advised by typo3 to use SSH and as we don't have that (except VPS) I needed to request jodohost to install it.

By the way it's now 3hrs since Yash post and no further information received.

Kindly go ahead with step 7, i.e.:
7 In your browser, visit
http://[your.site.name]/<this_site_name>/

As this requires your specific information.

Its not correctly installed, the two tar-ball need to be untarred in the same folder (see also my ticket, I prefer the folder to be called typo3)

Its now many hours (14) later since this last post (and again a reply in my ticket), and nothing has happened. It seems that ticket replies are not being read nor the complaint email at [email protected]

What is even more worrying is that straight forward installation instructions that thousands of typo3 users managed to correctly follow have not been followed in this instance. Its worrying as more site or server critical software might be dealt with in a similar way.

Could someone please get this installed.
Thanks!

Software was already correctly installed. It was just to rename the "quickstart" folder as per your needs.

Back