Traffic stats?

Logan

Perch
Is there anyway to see traffic stats that include the amount of bytes (KB,M, whatever) generated over the month (i.e. bandwidth)? The Webalizer provides all kinds fo good info but all the "KB" numbers are zero, even though the pages, hits, and files number are not.

you can see your http traffic in the control panel go to domain
settings and then HTTP traffic. It gives the number of http traffic
you made that month.

SePP said:
you can see your http traffic in the control panel go to domain
settings and then HTTP traffic. It gives the number of http traffic
you made that month.
I found where you are talking about, but it says 0K since 6 Feb, which is definately not correct.

When you wake up in the morning it should be working. Let me know if you need anything else.

Stephen said:
When you wake up in the morning it should be working. Let me know if you need anything else.

Mine seems to have stopped working as well. I hope you are going to fix this server(s) wide rather than account by account or website by website.

I thought that everyone would be happy that the traffic meter not working. We can't charge you for extra traffic!

Anyway, we are working on it

wooohaaa ... ;)

Owyeah got another question, what is the correct way to view
your quota is that on the homepage after login to control panel.
Because it says something different as my ftp quota specific.

I did fix it server wide, on win1, I did not realize that none of the other servers were giving network traffic information, I will let the other admins know how to fix it is they do not already know.

I think there is somthing else wrong now.

I checked my logs this morning and this is a list of the last few logs:

ex040224.log - 326165 bytes
ex040223.log - 36516 bytes
ex04022321.log - 1455 bytes
ex04022320.log - 36516 bytes

And here they are now:

ex040224.log - 33552 bytes
ex040223.log - 36516 bytes
ex04022321.log - 1455 bytes
ex04022320.log - 36516 bytes

Also the last entry in this ex040224.log this morning was at 2004-02-24 15:19:33 and the first entry in the same file now is 2004-02-24 16:42:01

The names seem to be shorter and the logs seem to be getting overwritten.

The file got overwritten again.

The newest log (ex040224.log) is now 95958 bytes and the first entry is now from 2004-02-24 18:32:12

Yash said:
I thought that everyone would be happy that the traffic meter not working. We can't charge you for extra traffic!

I don't think it is good when something is not working even if it benefits us. This COULD mean there is are other problems. I have many times not been aware of problems until I searched them out...This is not good because we shouldn't have to keep making sure the system(s) are working correctly.

In addition, It is a benefit to know what the traffic is so we can either plan for the future and keep an eye on what we are using. Since we normally have to pay for this it is not good to go without knowing for a period of time because of a glitch.

Besides, until you get a decent stats server this is useful information for me.

Stephen said:
I did fix it server wide, on win1, I did not realize that none of the other servers were giving network traffic information, I will let the other admins know how to fix it is they do not already know.

I'm not sure the fix is working correctly. I am seeing stats way higher than they should be. I don't know if this is related to the other win1 problems or the monitoing you guys were doing, but I will not see my monthly traffic quota get blown out of the water. There is no (bleep) way my site generated the traffic (over 2G yesterday alone) reported by Webalizer and HSphere. Especially since my home page has no links (it's an under construction page).

I put in a ticket for this.

Mycroft said:
The file got overwritten again.

The newest log (ex040224.log) is now 95958 bytes and the first entry is now from 2004-02-24 18:32:12

My sites on win1 are doing the same thing. The files seem to be written hourly, as they always have been, but they are named as if they were daily. The 2 digit hour no longer appears at the end of the filename; it is date only.
I picked ex040225.log several times today, and the contents are different in each case. And I don't mean that new information is appended; new information is replacing the old information.

Log files are definately messed up and this is clearly not a good thing...

riley

Yash said:

I know that there are numbers now in the raffic stats, and that's great, in itself. But the numbers are very wrong, and they keep changing.

Yesterday, Webalizer showed my traffic for 24-Feb on one of my sites at about 2G. Now I know this is wrong, it's way too high, since this site isn't even active yet. It's now 26-Feb, and I check the traffic for 24-Feb and it's now 1M. Surely the traffic from two days ago should be changing :)

I did put in a ticket for this, and when I asked where HSpehre gets it's data for traffic, I was told it gets it from the same log files as Webalizer, which I find difficult to understand, since unless you turn Webalizer on, there are no log files.

I'm a bit confused here.

And is the log file problem being fixed?

PS: The ticket number I submitted is 4838.

Stephen said:
Robert, I reset the logs. I don't know why they went crazy earlier.

I assume I am free to delete any log files I don't need.

How often does the Webalizer stats get generated?

Stephen said:
You are free to delete, they are generated every night, between 11pm-2am

OK, so I deleted some of the log files, specifically everything prior to 26-Feb, and Webalizer has regenerated the stats, but it still shows numbers for the 24-Feb and 25-Feb. Is it storing these somewhere? Can I zap these and start fresh?

It does store them, as far as I know, I will look into the details about the wawrapper and where it runs. At this point I don't know of any place but in the default logs location, it is worth a shot looking there.

Stephen said:
It does store them, as far as I know, I will look into the details about the wawrapper and where it runs. At this point I don't know of any place but in the default logs location, it is worth a shot looking there.

There are nothing but log files in the logs directory. The only odd file I can find in all my directories in my account is a ".wxprc" file of 95 bytes in the root of my account directories. I'm sure it's not this file.

Anyone know what this file is?

Back