Transacation log size

Dave

Perch
I'm just wondering if there was some reason why my SQL Server transaction log size is suddenly become much larger than is usual. It has been running consistently at around 4 to 6 megs, usually at the lower end, for quite a few months, and the last couple of days has gone up to 14 megs. My site crapped out on me altogether yesterday because the log limit was set at 10 megs, about double the usual amount. I think it normally gets truncated during the backup process. Has the backup not been done lately for mssql1?

I should mention also that traffic has been less than usual lately, so I don't think it's due to an increase in that area.

Thanks!

Since I've recieved no response to this post, I figured I'd try going the ticket route. As often happens, the response has nothing to do with the questions being asked.

My ticket:
Q: My SQL Server transaction log size is suddenly becoming much larger than usual. It has been running consistently at around 4 to 6 megs, usually at the lower end, for quite a few months, and the last couple of days has gone up to 15 megs. My site stopped altogether the other day because the log limit was set at 10 megs, about double the usual amount. I think it normally gets truncated during the backup process. Has the backup not been done lately for MSSQL1?
What is accounting for the log to be triple it's normal size, and not truncating? Auto-shrink has been, and continues to be, enabled.

The Response:
A: Hi,
Kindly check te setting for your sql server inside control panel as you can set the tranjectionlog and database ratio for the size of the file.
Kindly check and change the settngs accordingly.

for further assistance on the topic please visit our documentaton at :
http://www.jodohost.com/hsphere/html/mssql_support.html#quota

feel free to contact us for further assistance.

Regards
Maheep

If you were on MSSQL2, there was a problem. SQL Agent was not running properly and the daily backup routine wasn't happening for a few days. That was corrected by our DBA

Let me know if the problem persists

But I wasn't on MSSQL2, I'm on MSSQL1. The problem still exists. The transacation log seems to have settled at 15MB over the last couple of days. So far it seems stable, but still, it's triple the normal size. I'm concerned that I have to keep an eye on it so my site doesn't go down again, or make my transacation log really large in case it continues to grow.

I could see a correlation if I had triple the number of transacations, but there has been relatively little activity other than read activity. I could be mistaken, but I don't believe reading from the database causes a transacation. When I had a lot of read/write activity, a 10 MB transacation log was plenty.

Back