Transaction Log Problem!!!

One of the articles I linked to above said:

Shrinking a log is dependent on first truncating the log

so I'm wondering if you need to truncate the log first. I don't know how much of this is something that you can do in Enterprise Manager and how much can be done automatically at night during the backup. Maybe JodoHost's DBA can tell us what to do?

We're looking for a permanent solution to this transaction log issue.

We are looking at software solutions that could automatically shrink and reduce log files when they reach critical levels...

Yash said:
The situation isn't like that. All databases are backed up every 24 hours. With each backup, you transaction log is cleared and filled with whitespace. You don't have to worry about it filling up to a critical level

The case for hawkeye was totally different

This is incorrect. There are still problems and I believe everyone has them. Most people just don't notice it because their sites don't get the traffic that I do.

I got too comfortable that things were working again and didn't check the transaction log for the past 2 days. Well, it ballooned from 293 megs to 428 megs and TOOK THE SITE DOWN AGAIN! !

I went into HSPHERE and increased my total DB space to 800 megs. Considering that the size of my actual database is only 10 megs, this is ridiculous. I imagine there are DBAs out there laughing at the fact that a person has an 800 meg data space set aside for a 10 meg database...*** just to cover the transaction log ****

So, I guess the backup and "white space" conversion choked again and stopped working. It appears to NOT be working at this moment.

The autoshrink has never worked. When can be expect a resolution to these issues? I can't keep increasing the size indefinitely...

hawkeye

We actually installed some software which caused all the schedules to reset. There will be a permanent resolution to this issue by Wednesay. We are sourcing custom software that will take care of this entire issue (backing up, truncating, etc).

As far as you transaction log goes, send in a ticket and we'll imediately cut it down

Yash said:
hawkeye

We actually installed some software which caused all the schedules to reset. There will be a permanent resolution to this issue by Wednesay. We are sourcing custom software that will take care of this entire issue (backing up, truncating, etc).

Good to hear. I'll keep an eye on things until that time. I can also wait until that time for the log to be shrunk. Please let us know when this is actually in place.

Thanks.

This problem has now been PERMANENTLY resolved. The software is working great. As you can see, your database has been backed up and log file truncated. This will happen every 24 hours.

Yash said:
This problem has now been PERMANENTLY resolved. The software is working great. As you can see, your database has been backed up and log file truncated. This will happen every 24 hours.

Looks good so far. Glad to see this software in place!

Back