Transferring from Shared to VPS...

Demon

Guppy
If I were to switch from a shared account to a VPS account, is there an easier way of transferring all my files on the shared server to the VPS?

VPS is only unix, so no asp/asp.net at all, unless you installed something like apacheasp and mono, apacheasp is not that great, and mono is good but probably not what you are looking for.

What does a VPS do in what scenario is it better

On this subject of VPS, since it is offered in the reseller plans, I would like to learn more.

What difference will this make to me? In what situations will this feature make a difference? What kind of users will need this feature?

What difference will this make to me?

>It depends on how you wish to use it, but you have ful control.

In what situations will this feature make a difference?

>When you need custom unix softwareor a special program.

What kind of users will need this feature?

> Users that have the ability to manage their own server.

TQ, so in short, VPS is really for those wanting to run special programs that require total server control like root access etc. I acn understand this part.

Therefore it goes to say, running in VPS mode requires advanced Unix skills.

Another issue is of speed. A VPS basically allocates separate resources as like a virtual machine. Therefore you break free of shared hosting contraints and restrictions. Would this statement be true?

If I am running a program like http://phplist.com where soem of the functions require root access to execute. This is traditionally achieved by the use of cronjobs in shared hosting scenarios. Would running this application on a VPS make life hell of a lot easier?

I don't know if it would be easier, as you have to maintain apache, and all other services.

On reseller plans VPS is only based on Unix? How is the disk space and bandwitdth measured on VPS from a reseller account?

VPS is only based on unix.

Yash just announced in the Chit-Chat forum today about a new VPS system that will be better, more features, and more reliable.

VPS disk usage is counted like any other.

A process is just like in windows, go to the task manager and look at "processes" you could have apache, DNS, etc.

Yes they can be added via hsphere but are managed via SSH, a common free SSH client on windows is called PuTTY

Back