Tutorial: Using Enterprise Manager (SQL Server)

Yash

Bass
Last Updated: June 13, 2003

Enterprise Manager allows you to manage your MS SQL Server 2000 database as well as upload data to it. Before creating the connection to your SQL database ensure you know your SQL user name and password for you database and also make sure you know the IP Address of the server your SQL database is located on. This is located in the HSPHERE Control Panel

You can obtain Enterprise Manager by downloading MSDE (Microsoft Data
Engine) from http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/msde/default.asp.

When creating an SQL connection using SQL Server you will need to:
? Configure the server alias
? Create the SQL connection.

Configure the Server alias
1. Open SQL Server Client Network Utility.
2. When Client Network Utility opens, click on the Alias tab.
3. Click on the Add button.
4. In the Server Alias text box enter a name for your SQL connection.
5. Select TCP/IP under Network libraries
6. Enter the IP address of the Server your SQL database is located on, in
the Server name text box.
7. Click on the OK button.
8. Your Server alias will now be configured, click on the Apply button.
9. Click on the OK button.

Create Connection:
1. Open SQL Server Enterprise Manager
2. When Enterprise Manager opens, right click SQL Server Group and select
New SQL Server Registration.
3. The Register SQL Server wizard will now open.
4. Click on the Next button.
5. From the Available Servers drop down menu, select the server alias you
created earlier.
6. Click on the Add button.
7. The server should now be listed under Added servers, click on the Next
button.
8. When the next dialog box appears select 'The SQL Server login information
that was assigned to me by the system administrator' (see above).
9. Click on the Next button.
10. Enter your Login name and Password - this will be used every time you
connect to your SQL server.
11. Click on the Next button.

ive set up the SQL server (MSDE) from my office 2002 cd.
but it doesn't seem to have enterprise manager on it.

like the post above the MSDE doesn't have the manager ... and i can't get the http://www.aspenterprisemanager.com/ that people are suggesting to work,

can anyone suggest any ideas...

Odd, I install MSDE on a computer and it had the Enterprise Manager.
So did the SQL Server 2000 Evaluation version I used to install the Enterprise Manager on this computer..

I haven't found a seperate installation executable for it yet though :(

I recently talked to someone over at Microsoft about how to get EM without SQL Server. It is possible to do this if you pay a $150 client licensing fee. It is not available seperate from SQL and therefore this is why no one can find the download. There are a couple of different options however. You can purchase the Developers edition of SQL server for $50. It includes SQL Server and EM. You must accept the licensing agreement that it won't be used on a production server. It may even be limited to 5 connections (I don't remember.) At this point it makes more sense to buy the developers edition. Microsoft didn't come right out and say it but I think that they stopped sending EM with MSDE because they weren't making a profit from it.

I also came across a nice 3'rd party database administrator program that works for SQL Server. It is DbaMgr2K available at: http://www.asql.biz/DbaMgr.shtm It doesn't have all of the features as EM but it works for most peoples needs. Best part is that it's free. Another nice thing about it is that it doesn't take years to open the database folder like EM. Microsoft should take a hint from this. One caveat; DbaMgr2K sometimes tries to open other databases other than your default. This gives some errors when tring to run some procedures. The same error doesn't happen when using EM. Overall I think it's a pretty good program.

PS: (I read somewhere that the evaluation version of Microsoft's EM doesn't expire after the three month trial period and only the SQL Server engine. I guess that I'll find out in about 2 months. I'm still using the eval. version of EM. Could always try to re-install it I guess.)

Hope this helps.

DbaMgr only works with local databases..

but anyways, it's a great tool if you dont have Microsofts EM

DirtBag said:
DbaMgr only works with local databases..

but anyways, it's a great tool if you dont have Microsofts EM
Not true. I use it all the time with mssql1.jodoshared.com. Just set your network library to tcp\ip.

Tonto

tonto said:
Not true. I use it all the time with mssql1.jodoshared.com. Just set your network library to tcp\ip.

Tonto

Hey Tonto ...

I've looked around at my network settings and and looked around in some help files, but I'm not really sure how to do this. Any chance you could explain how to do this? :D

Jim

theshovel said:
Hey Tonto ...

I've looked around at my network settings and and looked around in some help files, but I'm not really sure how to do this. Any chance you could explain how to do this? :D

Jim
Just go into tools & settings / client network utility and enable the tcp\ip protocol. Make sure that the tcp\ip port is 1433. Let me know if this works.

Tonto

tonto said:
Just go into tools & settings / client network utility and enable the tcp\ip protocol. Make sure that the tcp\ip port is 1433. Let me know if this works.

Tonto

Thanks for the answer back, tonto! As it turns out I am enabled for tcp\ip protocol, however, I was thinking you were referring to the online sqladmin at this address:
http://sqladmin.jodohost.com/
for which I get the same error complained about elsewhere.

Thanks,
Jim

BTW, I really like your signature! :)

theshovel said:
Thanks for the answer back, tonto! As it turns out I am enabled for tcp\ip protocol, however, I was thinking you were referring to the online sqladmin at this address:
http://sqladmin.jodohost.com/
for which I get the same error complained about elsewhere.

Thanks,
Jim

BTW, I really like your signature! :)
For some reason I don't really trust the web based sqladmin. I usually use MS EM. This seems to be the most tried and true admin program. Of course the only drawback is the time to connect.

Tonto

tonto said:
For some reason I don't really trust the web based sqladmin. I usually use MS EM. This seems to be the most tried and true admin program. Of course the only drawback is the time to connect.Tonto

I have also found MS EM to be best for my uses. Now it only takes about 30 seconds to connect to my database through it, but I do have an excellent ADSL connection.

I have had problems here and there with a hung-up connection (as a matter of fact it did it again this morning) and when that happens I make sure to change the SQL manager to SQL ServerAgent and then start the service, and then restart EM, and then I'm back in business in under 30 seconds.

Jim

I currently use Enterprise Manager here, and it works very well. Actually it?s one reason why I choose Jodohost. (Some web hosting firms don?t allow customers use EM to access SQL Server.) EM and Query Analyzer are very handy and you can do lots of things easily. In my view, they are still much better than any web based tools.

Back